How to seal leaking chimney?

lastbuilders

I have just moved into my new build and have a problem with a leaking chimney. I have had the builder back a few times and to be fair to him has done a few different things as follows to try to fix it:

- Put sealant on the chimney
Still leaking
- Put Lead on the part of the chimney that is "choked " in
Still Leaking
- Took out bricks and put extra lead the whole way through to the timber frame
Still leaking

I think that the water may be coming in now beacuse there has been no dry weather since the new lead has been put in. Maybe when it gets dry and more sealant is put on it may rectify it (wishful thinking maybe).

I think the other option is to take the chimney down to the fireplace and redo it which I don't want to do if I can help it.

Has anyone any other options I can try?

Lastbuilders

Was in a similar situation. A year after moving in I noticed water coming through the chimney breast upstairs. Builder had a look at flashing etc but couldn't really find anything wrong. More wetness again a couple of weeks later. I contacted the builder again and he suggested that it might be how the plaster is soaking the rain water. My chimney stands about 8-10 ft above the roofline.

He suggested Thompsoms masonry sealer - 2 coats.

I'm hoping that I'm not talking too soon but it seems to have sorted ir and God knows, its been well tested in the past few weeks. I wonder could it be something similar in your case??

No chimney should leak if the leadwork from bottom apron, flashings and backgutters are installed correctly. I would try another reputable roofer and see if your guy has done the job in the right manner, its very easy to split lead when dressing it around a chimney stack, and water is a thin man. At worst you may need to strip back a few tiles / slates to re do ....if it ever stops raining that is.

Could also be as Avns says as the lead is rarely chased back into the blockwork but rather laid flat upright and the pvc beading cloaks the top of the lead, but the render should have been mixed with waterproofer, if it was not then this could be an easy route for penetrating damp, even painting the stack with masonary paint will eliminate this possibility...or solve the problem.

Thanks for the replies. Just an update. The water seems to have almost stopped now so the lead that was put in last sunday seems to have done the trick. There was water coming in for first day or so but this may have been the last that was in the chimney stack below the new lead.

There was one or two drops came in yesterday but I would say a bit more sealent may sort it.

Lastbuilders

Back