how to replace a fascia board

macnas

How can the tiles be supported when you remove a fascia board to replace it with a new one? The lowest row of tiles rests on the edge of the fascia board and will need support when the fascia is removed. Is this a diy job?

Thanks Dobber22. but that does not say how to hold the concrete tiles that rest on the fascia when you remove the fascia..

Hi Macnas,

Are you sure that the tiles are supported by the fascia? I believe that they are hooked and/or nailed to the roofing laths on top of the rafters.

I've had a quick peep at that site, it's of American origin so all the info may not be relevant to Irish building practice- in particular the roof pictured looks to be shingled. Now in answer to your question - can't be certain! I assume your old fascia is timber and you are replacing with PVC or aluminium? In this case there may be a double batten behind the ex. fascia to form a tilting fillet which locks the tiles in place, in which case you're in luck. This is certainly the norm and good practice and if this is the case you're free to remove all the fascia. If not (and the fascia is holding up the first course of tiles) this is a little more difficult. However removing the fascia shouldn't cause any damage- afterall the tiles should be nailed (first row must be). However all this is subject to opening up, you won't really know til you start.

Thanks Carpenter for your reply.
Unfortunately there is not a double batten on the tiles (or nails on first line of tiles? )(cowboys!) . I would like to replace fascia with wood again. The tiles are resting on the existing fascia. If the fascia is removed there is nothing to prevent the tiles from sagging.
It is too difficult to raise a 12 foot line of tiles back into position when putting in a new fascia? The present fascia is rotted in parts and I should have it replaced before this.

Weight of tiles will be a problem, fascia generally comes in 12' and 14' and 16' lengths. It should be possible but you will require an extra pair of hands and it'll be tricky to get a good level line. Is the house very big i.e. are there long straight runs of fascia? If replacing the ex. fascia with PVC you will need to put in a timber grounds first which will make final fixing of the PVC fascia easier.

Back