How to repair radon barrier ?

ennisjim

Hi,

I am at the stage where I need to repair radon barrier prior to laying floor insulation. There are lots of small nicks (<1cm) which I was planning to repair using patches of cutoffs stuck on using a flexible adhesive/sealant (Sikaflex). Nobody advised me to use this approach, just came up with it myself, so if anyone has better ideas I would be interested in hearing them. There is a tape but it comes in big rolls and costs about €40.

However, the repairs which concern me most are the big 'holes' which the electrician has cut out for the central vacuum system, and I expect the plumber will do same for waste pipes. I don't think my patching skills will stretch to deal with these. Can anyone advise on best way to handle these tricky repairs.
Unfortunately I don't think these holes can be avoided. Radon barrier itself is beneath 125mm concrete slab but this rises over first block of inner leaf (b-built with cavity). Waste pipes, etc will most likely be sitting on floor slab which is about 100mm below where radon barrier exits the inner leaf.

Anything useful here?

http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/wvNavView/wwdConstruction?OpenDocument&Lang=en

Thanks Clubman for the links. Had a look but unfortunately no advice on how to repair.

You should only have 4 or 5 holes in the bottom of radon barrier, for toilets and these are sealed with Dek tights ( a rubber ringed seal) as for the rest they go through the side of the last block before floor level or above insulation, thies holes are small 25mm and a few 50mm waste pipes,The way we do thies is cut a tiny hole in radon and heat it and then push pipe through, with a sealer it gives an air tight seal. Its not the pipes I'd worry about its the corners that are the hardest to do. Radon can also be laid straight through under the last block which makes things much handier

Any holes or tears should be repaired using patches of Radon Barrier taped in place using a radon jointing tape with at least a 150mm lap beyond the extremity of the puncture.

S.B.