how to remove w32desktophijack

rheinie

Each time I turn machine I get this virus alert I have run norton a few times on it but norton is unable to delete or repair it ,any one got any ideas on how I can remove it .Thanks in advance

Hi Rheinie,

Have you checked out the "clean pc key post" at the top of the forum.?

ajapale

Heres a good chance for someone to test the
DO let us know how you get on with it.

Then see microsofts own version of AAMs Clean your PC,

Ive just updated to the latest version of MS anti spyware and my respect for this tool is growing.

Theres some nifty features under advanced tools. Check out the system explorers, startup programs. Its coming close to an all in one. Procexp is still a better process explorer but the system process view is better then task manager.

car said:
Heres a good chance for someone to test the
DO let us know how you get on with it.

Is this a full anti-virus product though, they call it a "malicious software removal tool"? I thought it only covered a limited number of viruses/worms related to MS security holes? Still worth running of course in any event, just they recommend you have a full anti-virus program too.

As far as I know it's a spyware/adware checker/removal tool and not a fully fledged virus checker. I generally run AVG as well.

As far as I know it's a spyware/adware checker/removal tool and not a fully fledged virus checker. I generally run AVG as well.

Are you sure youre not confusing the MS anti virus checker with the MS spyware tool? The anti-virus tool is new(ish). See the MS protect your pc to compare both.
The anti-virus tool states
Antivirus software seeks out and deletes malicious programs, called viruses, that attach themselves to a program or file in order to spread from computer to computer

The spyware tool states..
Anti-spyware software helps to protect your computer from known programs that can track your Web browsing habits or make changes to your computer settings without your consent or control.

Both quotes are as good a distinguisher between the 2 different types of software as Ive read.

I thought with the original poster having a supposedly hard to remove virus, it would give us a chance to test it.

car said:
Are you sure youre not confusing the MS anti virus checker with the MS spyware tool? The anti-virus tool is new(ish). See the MS protect your pc to compare both.
The anti-virus tool states

The spyware tool states..

Both quotes are as good a distinguisher between the 2 different types of software as Ive read.

I thought with the original poster having a supposedly hard to remove virus, it would give us a chance to test it.

But where in that link does it state that MS have an anti-virus product? They actually only link to 3rd party providers on that page.

I realise you linked to two different pieces of MS software in your original post one being the anti-spyware one but the other is their "malicious software removal tool" which is not a fully fledged anti-virus product. I agree it is separate and distinct from the anti-spyware program but it only has limited anti-virus capabilities and in fact they themselves recommend you still use another anti-virus package:

"You should also use up-to-date antivirus software to help protect your computer from other malicious software."

P.S. As an aside MS are known to be working on a full anti-virus package expected some time next year, with beta versions possibly imminient.

Couldn't find a Microsoft AntiVirus tool as such - is this what you mean? MS call it a Malicious Software Removal Tool. I ran it anyway and came up clean. It seems it's a Removal Tool and not a replacement for Norton or AVG and released by MS second Tuesday of every month. Have I got it right? One Q. Is malicious software the same as viruses/worms?

It does look as if MS will have a new beta anti virus tool but it isn't available yet http://news.com.com/Details+of+Microsoft+antivirus+software+leak+out/2100 7349_3-5287496.html I thought at first this was what Car meant but don't think so now.

The removal tool is what I was referring to. The protect your pc link does lead to external vendor sites, unusual practice for 1 vendor to be recommending another, I would have thought, especially when they look as though theyre bringing out their own soon enough.

anyhoo, as the original posters anti-virus SW doesnt seem to have prevented the virus getting on, arent removal tools what they would be looking for anyway?

Back