How to remotely control heating in Holiday home

10amwalker

Hi Techies,

I have a timber framed holiday home in Donegal and would like to be able to turn the OFH on before I arrive up to the house.

- We do not have a land line

- mobile coverage is very poor but use 3G broadband on a Pay as you Go basis which is good.

So am I right in thinking that the GSM auto or the GD-04 David will not work ?

Any ideas how we can remotely turn on/off the heat which will be value for money considering we use the house 4/6 times during the winter.

We also have to contend with power outages due to the location and the weather.

Many thanks
10amwalker from the wilds of Donegal

Vandriver,

I did however she has died. The elderly neighbours are brilliant but the 2 channel time clock gets the better of them. It gets the better of me too !!!

Never mind when you leave the time clock in the off position and there is a power cut it reverts back to factory settings and I have often come up to find that the heat has been on full blast since the power cut !!

Very similar topic to this thread, which includes some discussion on options, so I'll close this one to keep it all in one thread. Feel free to add any further questions/suggestions to that thread.
Leo

Leo,

I do accept that it is similar to the other thread however there is a big difference- the first thread is for a home- lived in continuously looking for automation (continuous broadband) while my thread is for a holiday home looking how to control heating.. which is more ad hoc.

What do you think ?

10amwalker

Hi 10amwalker, oops, looks like I forgot to lock this one

I think it's similar enough, the other thread discusses SIM, alarm hookup, and internet connected options.

With no land line, and poor mobile coverage, then your only option is the 3G modem, which will need to be on all the time to receive the command signals. Probably a prohibitively expensive solution.