How to refix toilet after tiling

pator

Just got a mate to tile bathroom floor, what is the best way to refix toliet? It looks like the cistern part was screwed to the wall/plaster board with ordinary rawl plugs, are they enough? is it just holing it in place with no weight? He tilled under the bowl part was do I need to try get "no more nails or someit similar in under it? Sounds difficult?
Any ideas?

Re: How to refix toliet after tilling

If the the wc pan and cistern is a close couple suite then regular plugs and screws are more than adequate. I'd fix the cistern using 2 no. 5x 60mm screws and 8mm plugs (Rawlplug brown). Fitting a close couple jacks can be tricky enough but you will have the ex. plumbing there to guide you. The pan (or bowl as you called it) is screw fixed to the floor with a similar arrangement of screws and plugs (4 no.), just be careful when tightening the screws not to damage the pan base. On completion seal around the base of the pan with a white/ or clear silicone mastic to prevent dirt lodging in the junction. Don't glue the pan down using "No more nails" or anything like it- if you ever need to remove the pan (to clear a blockage for example) it will be nigh impossible to remove it without breakage.

Thanks a mill for that carpenter.

Just another quick question re the pan. In terms of screwing to the floor because he tilled in under it the old holes are covered up. I have a drill bit for tiles/glass but it is way to short to drill down through to the floor. Is it ok to drill down with an ordinary bit?? Rather than drilling that why I asked about the "no more nails"

Just to clarify he has put the toliet back in place just not fixed it to anything.

You can drill a standard ceramic tile with a regular (TCT) masonry bit, just turn off the hammer action until you hit the concrete underneath the tiled surface. "No more nails" wouldn't be up to the job for fixing a pan in place. The hardest part of the job is accurately drilling the holes (at the angle etc). Take your time and it should work ok. Even if you make a mistake the (wrong) holes will still be hidden under the pan. BTW you will have to mark the hole locations while the pan is in place and then remove the pan before drilling the holes and fixing the plugs in place.

You might also want to stick a piece of insulating tape onto the tiles prior to marking and then drill through that. The tape stops the drill bit from skidding all over the place. (Or at least it did for this amateur.)

Re: How to refix toliet after tiling

Thanks guys.
Went at it last night, all seem to go well. Drilled, fixed one side and going well (too well) went off for coffee and my little helper decided to fix the other side, he missed the rawl plug -> but kept trying to tighten the screw, and seems to have put pressure on it and wedged it in at an angle in the hole in the pan. Essentially it seems that one corner of it is stuck under the ceramic.
Any ideas as to how to get it out? I presume one sided scred isn't enough.

Back