How to reduce gas bill?

Rois

I am wondering how I can best reduce my bill - currently €90 per month under Bord Gais budget plan. I am using natural gas - newish 4 bed semi, only 1 occupant. I have already turned down the thermostats in the rooms that I don't use regularly.

Wondering if it's cheaper to leave central heating on all the time at a really low level (know someone who swears by this) or to put it on timer for 2 hours in the morning and 4 hours at nights (which I do at present).

Or would it be cheaper to use electrical heaters - e.g. halogen heaters, putting one in each room and just switching on as needed. SuperValu have halogen heaters for 13.99 at the moment - I've never used one so don't know what they're like. Or what about the electric radiator-type heaters that you can get?

Any ideas appreciated.

Gas heating is going to work out cheaper than electric. Perhaps look at the advice on the [broken link removed] site for tips, and see if you can increase insullation anywhere.
Leo

Wondering if it's cheaper to leave central heating on all the time at a really low level (know someone who swears by this)
My sister in law also does this and she's very prudent with money.
I put ours on in the morning for an hour, hour in the afternoon, hour n the evening, three at night and i also time it to come on at 2, 4 and 6 in while we're asleep.House is constantly warm then.:)

My sister in law also does this and she's very prudent with money.
I put ours on in the morning for an hour, hour in the afternoon, hour n the evening, three at night and i also time it to come on at 2, 4 and 6 in while we're asleep.House is constantly warm then.:)

Yeah in the house where the central heating is always on low is never cold - but I have to wonder what it costs over time i.e. is it more expensive than setting timer for morning and evening? Is €90 pcm normal - seems very high to me, plus the prices have just gone up 34% I think. And I hardly ever put the heating on in the summer.

4 beds, 1 occupant - perhaps you could close the doors of the rooms you don't use?

If the radiators are hung on external walls, you could try getting reflective material for behind radiators. Heat is thrown back into the room and not spent heating an outside wall.

I'm taking that the lagging jacket / fully insulated cylendar is a given.

D8L

i must invest in a lagging jacket-been in the house three years and still dont have one:eek: how much do they cost and where do i get one? Thanks

Wondering if it's cheaper to leave central heating on all the time at a really low level (know someone who swears by this) or to put it on timer for 2 hours in the morning and 4 hours at nights (which I do at present).

Im surprised you need it on to that level in October? I have only just (begrudgingly) used the heating the last couple of mornings for 1hr before getting up. Sounds silly but mayb just putting on a jumper would help?
If you are using that level of heating in October how much will you be using by January?

Also as others said, close doors to unused rooms & turn off rads in these rooms.

Would be interest in hearing the responses to having heating on a low level constantly & how expensive it is (although would be afraid it would soften me too much!)

Also as others said, close doors to unused rooms & turn off rads in these rooms

Someone told me that this is a false economy as the cold air in these unused rooms will draw the warm into them and out of the used rooms; even with the doors closed.

Perhaps someone of a technical 'bent' could clarify!

One way to find out how much gas these options use is to use one method for about a week, then the other method for the same period. Note the meter reading before and after each period. Obviously variations in ambient temperature will have an effect on this, but you should get a good idea.

Purplealien, you can get lagging jackets in any builders providers or DIY outlet, cost about €25, but will save you in the region of €2.50 a week in water heating costs according to the ESB.
Leo

Back