How to protect my wireless broadband?

Cati76

Hi there. I am after buying a wireless router to get internet at home and to connect to Xbox live. I heard that it would be a good idea to password protect it, so other people won't use it. I got a belkin wireless router, any one knows how to do so? I use internet in 2 computers and the xbox.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There are several existing threads that go into great detail about the relevant issues - WEP/WPA/PSK802.11i encryption, MAC address filtering, SSID broadcast disabling, default channel changing (more to avoid interference than for security), default router password changing, firewalls etc. Try the search to find them. Useful search terms are "WiFi", "802.11" and "wireless".

ClubMan said:
There are several existing threads that go into great detail about the relevant issues - WEP/WPA/PSK802.11i encryption, MAC address filtering, SSID broadcast disabling, default channel changing (more to avoid interference than for security), default router password changing, firewalls etc. Try the search to find them. Useful search terms are "WiFi", "802.11" and "wireless".

I saw one not that long ago, and when search with wireless, couldn't find it, will give it a go again to see if I have a bit of luck. Thanks.

Itchy said:
If all else fails RTFM!!!
Sorry don't understand what you mean by RTFM.

Cati76 said:
I saw one not that long ago, and when search with wireless, couldn't find it, will give it a go again to see if I have a bit of luck. Thanks.
Try searching for some of the other terms.
Sorry don't understand what you mean by RTFM.
RTFM.

Cati76 said:
Hi there. I am after buying a wireless router to get internet at home and to connect to Xbox live. I heard that it would be a good idea to password protect it, so other people won't use it. I got a belkin wireless router, any one knows how to do so? I use internet in 2 computers and the xbox.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Belkin Network Guide may cover the security settings.

I'd be surprised if your Router did not come with instructions for setting your own SSID and encription standards.

You can do this set-up yourself to protect your boradband.

We were installing 4 different "gadgets" at the same time, so didn't have time to look at the manual then, but will get to it today...thanks everyone for being such a great help.

There is definitely at least one, if not more than one, thread that goes into great detail about WiFi network security. I can't find it at the moment but perhaps somebody else can.

I came across the following which may be of use to people

An online tutorial, [broken link removed], on how to secure your wireless network with video tutorials as to how to configure routers from Linksys, Netgear and Apple.

Also another online video tutorial with a series of video guides to securing your computeras to how to protect your PC.

C

hey guys,

great post by capaill. i have an apple laptop and use a wireless network for stereo, internet, printer. The apple manual refers you to their website for instructions all the time!!

the link you provided is excellent and it finally helps me make my connection secure.

Have a sneaky suspicion that my next door neighbour has been piggy backing my internet for the past few months!!

THANKS AGAIN

johnnybegood said:
hey guys,
Have a sneaky suspicion that my next door neighbour has been piggy backing my internet for the past few months!!

THANKS AGAIN

Yeah, sorry about that, Johnny.

I was wondering why my free wireless broadband is no longer working. :(

Back