How to place a 'Buy it Now' on an eBay listing

Becca

Someone has an eBay auction on at the moment, but we've agreed a price on the item and the seller now wants to place a 'Buy it now' on the listing so I can purchase at the agreed price.

He's a new seller, and I don't know anything about selling on eBay. He said he's tried to place a 'But it Now' on his listing but it won't let him.

Does anyone know how he can place a 'Buy it Now' price on his listing which is already active?

Thank you

Is this not covered in the eBay seller help?

Seems odd that a seller would agree a price when the auction is ongoing and they are guaranteed at least your offer. I would be inclined to wonder if this is genuine and not some sort of scam. Possibly not but you have to be careful on eBay especially with sellers with no real track record.

If there are already bids on the auction (even just your one) he can't revise the listing, only end it early and relist it for you as a private auction. Caveat emptor, as ClubMan says...

Thanks, I'll take a look at that link now.

The listing was just recently listed and has a week to go.

I offered a price higher then the minimum bid, but I didn't actually place the bid. I just asked them if they'd accept an offer. If that makes sense...

I'd be paying by PayPal so I should be protected and I wouldn't be buying outside eBay.

OK, but bear in mind that PayPal's dispute resolution process can be very drawn out and contains quite few exclusions and limits; also (IIRC) a kind of 'excess' proviso whereby the first X of the amount claimed is not eligible for refund.

Edit (posts crossed) : If there are no bids, then he could let you place your bid and end the auction early under the "Sell item to high bidder(s) and end listing early" option.

I have had cause to use the PayPal (or it may have been eBay) dispute resolution process once when a seller did not come up with the goods and it was long drawn out but eventually ruled in my favour although I was slightly out of pocket due to currency fluctuations in the meantine. There was no "excess" but there was an upper limit of a few hundred $s. The terms & conditions, excess and limit may have changed in the meantime. I'm not sure if this sort of protection applies if you deal offline though.

If there are no bids, then he could let you place your bid and end the auction early under the "Sell item to high bidder(s) and end listing early" option.
I was looking at the link ClubMan gave, is there a page there concerning the "Sell item to high bidder(s) and end listing early" option?

I'm looking for that, but haven't found it yet...

You do know that you can search the help don't you? The search will find the link that you are looking for.

I've just tried with an auction* that I have running and which currently has no bids, and it definitely gives me the option to change the minimum bid or to set a 'Buy It Now' price. Depending on the type of item, eBay's fee can be slightly higher (as a percentage of the buy price) for BIN as opposed to auction-type listings, but it's usually only a few cents, unless you're talking about an item costing hundreds of euro...?

[* P.S. ClubMan, [broken link removed]...?]

DrMoriarty, I've just found the link to the info I think to which you were referring...

http://pages.ebay.ie/help/sell/questions/endlist-now.html
you are permitted to end a listing early and sell the item to the high bidder (via the eBay website). Ask the member to place a bid at the amount they offered to you, then go to the [broken link removed] and select "Sell to the high bidder".

It's at the very bottom of the page.

I've just e-mailed this link to the seller.