How to open a medical practice?

Anka

Hi everyone.
I have a friend who is a neurosurgeon and he's thinking of coming to Ireland.
I know he needs to register with medical council etc.
What I want to know is:
is it possible to open a medical practice if you are not a doctor,but you will hire one? He doesn't want to come here and stay,he just wants to come twice a month and do the consultations,so it would be handy for him if I could organize all for him and he would just come and do his job.
Maybe you know what H&S conditions do we need to meet to open the practice?
I tried to find this out from Medical Council but they referred me to Irish Medical Organisation and they couldn't answer my questions either.. Is there any other organisation I can contact about this?

Thanks in advance :)

There is a body which represents medical consultants who might be able to help.

You could also check with the Department of Health.

He could ask an established surgeon. If he is planning to set up in Dublin, he could ask someone in Cork who might not worry about the competition.

How would he get referrals? Would he not need some attachment to one of the hospitals? Could he ask one of the surgeons in the Blackrock Clinic or wherever his speciality is handled?

Hi Brendan,
Thanks for your reply.
The plan is to get in touch with hospitals and clinics to let them know that there is a neurosurgeon around.
He came to that idea because my husband had an accident and needed a consultation and was told by the GP that in Ireland he would need to wait for approx 12 weeks..so he went to Poland and got it done in 2 weeks time.
We made a bit of research and there isn't many neurosurgeons in Ireland

Back