How to open a B&B?

tester1

Hi

I have googled above and have not come up with the info I am looking for.
I live within 1 km of a major Irish landmark that is visited daily by tourists.
I have a large 4 bed house and I may be made redundant in the next few months.

I am just weighing up my options and thought of B&B...

Do I have to register as a business?
What is the tax laws etc?
Are there specific rules re rooms etc?

Hi,

This thread is dated but may be useful.

[broken link removed] and got the impression from that that it is very, very hard to make a living from running a B&B especially in light of the hotels reducing their rates a lot these days.

Agree with Sue Ellen the rates that can be had from a hotel (apart from bank holiday weekends and special events) and the extra facilities you have make it very unattractive to stay in a b n b in these times.

great programme on every day at 5 oclock on channel 4 called four in a bed, all about BB's in a competition, more four on a sat/sun run the five episodes in a row in the afternoon.

There was a chap on adverts.ie advertising a free room good while back (wanted people to try it for his experience/reviews) in his new BB where every room was only €20, u pay for breakfast. Im posting the link from his webpage ([broken link removed]) where i see it €18.50 now with breakfast. Looks quirky and wonderful.

A lot of research needs to be done first before embarking on this course. The fact that you are close to a major tourist attraction does not necessarily mean that there is a huge demand for B&B.

Check in your area to see how many empty (or full) beds are available, say mid week, off season etc.

Stayed in a midlands B&B recently (have been going there for many years) and the owner told me her business is now 20% of what it was. This is a large B&B in beautiful surroundings in a thriving town. All 7 bedrooms ensuite, extensive menu for breakfast

Back