How to manufacture a product

Lobby

Hi,

I have an idea for a product that I believe would be in demand, if available.

Without giving too much away, it essentially would involve a manufacturing process including plastics and metal, but no active components (i.e. electronics etc.)

I imagine that the best way (ie cheapest) would be to have it manufactured in China - would be happy to do it in Ireland, but realise that once available, someone else would manufacture something similar for less in China.

I don't believe its a patentable idea but may look into this further.

How does one go about investigating manufacturing a prototype, and also investigating manufacturing in China?

There are companies in Ireland that can manufacture products and then outsource them to a lower cost manufacturing base (China, Central America, Eastern Europe etc) while looking after the quality and locistics for you at this end.
Are you talking about moulded plastics or machined plastics? If it's the former then the tooling costs will be high.
If the product could be sold internationally the Enterprise Ireland might be of help, but only if you can protect the intellectual property of the product.
For some strange reason the sort of companies you are looking for are booming at the moment in Ireland.

contact your local Institute of Technology, they may have access to rapid prototyping equipment. A sutdent may take it on as a project and you could get the work done for nothing. win win.

There are companies in Ireland that can manufacture products and then outsource them to a lower cost manufacturing base (China, Central America, Eastern Europe etc) while looking after the quality and locistics for you at this end.

Purple could you post a few links to the companies that you are referring to. Cheers

Back