How to load windows...Media test failure...Invalid system disk

Becca

I've just purchased a 2nd hand base unit which is supposed to be in working condition as it was checked by the seller just before purchase, though the operating system was removed.

So I have to now load windows onto it, but when I boot it up it states...

PXE-E61: Media test failure, test cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE

Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

When I press any key it just repeats the above. Any ideas which cable it means? I've tested external cables, though perhaps it means an internal cable.

Or which disk it refers to? Is it the hard drive?

Thanks!

Any help here?
Lots of other hits if you google the error.

Seems like it could possibly be the Hard Disk, but also possible BIOS problems etc so needs to be looked into (hopefully pages like the above may help with that).

PXE errors sound like it's trying to boot from the network and failing. Chances are the PC was set to boot from a network operating system image wherever it was previously installed/used. Check your BIOS settings and if PXE net booting is enabled then disable it or relegate it below booting from CD or hard disk.

I presume the original poster means a PC system unit (i.e. the main box housing motherboard, hard disk, power supply etc.)?

Start at the start . . .

You say the OS was removed, so trying to boot 'normally' isn't going to work.

In order to get an OS on the machine you need an install CD for the OS. To do what you want to do you must first have this CD. If you don't have it then you will need to go find one (and a license too).

If you have one you need to configure the machine to boot (run) from the CD. To do this enter setup when the machine is booting (look closely at the screen when the power comes on and see if it says "Hit <x> for setup" where <x> could be any key but typically F1, F10, F12, DEL, ESC or some other key. Then you need to look for the section covering boot order and makes sure CD is listed there. The order doesn't matter at the moment because there is nothing else to boot from yet.

z

Thanks guys for the links, I'll take a look at those now.

Zag, I have the OS on CD. I have pressed F2 and it brings up the bios.

It states...

IDE Hard Disk: Auto

Diskette Drive A: 3.5 inch, 1.44MB
Diskette Drive B: Not installed

Drives:

Primary Type Cyls Hds Pre LZ Sec Size
Drive 0: Auto 1024 255 -1 1024 63 8422
Drive 1: None

Secondary
Drive 0: Auto
Drive 1: None

Not sure if the above is of any help. What does the section covering "boot order" look like?

I presume Secondary Drive 0 is the CD drive? Is there no sign of any PXE net boot option in the BIOS anywhere that can be disabled? I wonder if the PC is trying to boot from hard disk and fails because there is no OS, tries the CD and for some reason cannot boot from that and then falls back to attempting a PXE net boot? Are you sure that the CD drive is working OK and that your Windows CD is a bootable one and OK too?

Are you absolutely sure that the CD drive works?
Are you absolutely sure that your Windows CD is a bootable full installable version? What does it say on it?

I purchased the unit as being in full working order so as far as I'm aware the CD drive should be working. I can hear it whirring.

The windows CD is working as I purchased it new and loaded it on my other PC previously.

The only reference to PXE I can find in the bios is in the Integrated Devices section. It states...

NIC: On
This category turns the on-board Network Interface Controller ON (the default), OFF or ON (PXE Off) for NIC enabled without PXE support.

Perhaps I should switch this off?

Zag mentioned about booting from the CD. In the bios section about booting there is an option which states...

If you select CD-ROM FIRST, the CD-ROM will be attempted, then diskette, then hard-disk drive 0.

So I chose this CD-ROM FIRST option and re-booted with the OS CD in the CD-Drive. The PC stated...

Secondary hard disk drive 0 not found.

Invalid system disk

Replace the disk, and then press any key.

Yes - switch this off since net booting is not relevant to you.
Secondary hard disk drive 0 not found.
The CD drive is not being recognised or is faulty. Check that all cables are connected correctly (nothing to so with the original PXE check cable error posted above). If possible try the CD drive in another PC.

I switched the NIC to OFF off but it hasn't made any difference. I'll switch the PC off and have a look that any cables connecting inside to the CD drive aren't loose, and if not I'll try the drive in the other PC.

If the cables look like they are correctly connected then also check any jumpers on the CD drive unit to make sure that they are set properly - most likely a jumper on the master (mad stuff in that link about political correctness gone mad!) or CS (cable select) pins is what you want here.

Thanks ClubMan,

I opened up the unit and I discovered that the cable connecting to the CD-drive was a little bit loose so I pushed it in a little and re-booted the PC.

Windows is now loading, so it seems to be ok now.

Thanks again

Great - nice to hear that you got to the bottom of it and that you weren't sold a dud.