How to listen to and record BBC Radio 4 now that Virgin are switching off the analogue line

Brendan Burgess

Founder
While you can get BBC Radio 4 on the Horizon Box, it will not record the programme.

But the new Sky Q box allows you to record radio programmes.

upload_2018-8-4_12-14-35.png

Before ordering this, I would like to test it out and make sure it works.

Has anyone got a Sky Q box who could check this for me?

Brendan

Yes, I suggested that elsewhere.
And also the possibility of using internet radio but somebody else mentioned that not all original broadcast material is relayed on the internet feeds in some cases (BBC in particular).

Caution with the SkyQ box. I don't have one, but I do have its predecessor, a Sky+ HD box. On the "official" radio channels tab with Sky+ HD, there is no BBC radio at all. You can, however, tune BBC radio in manually under "other channels" (effectively picking them up via the UK Freesat feed). This permits me to listen to R4 live, but it's not possible to record "other channels" as they don't appear on the Sky EPG for Ireland. I suspect Sky Q will be similar due to broadcast rights issues.

We also have one of these https://www.freetv.ie/hd-satellite-receiver/ connected to a spare feed from the Sky dish. It receives all UK Freesat channels and records any of them. Just tested and working fine now recording BBC R4. Note that it's single tuner only (so no watch a while recording b) and records to a USB stick. It's a great little receiver for 50 quid.

Paul

Just tested and working fine now recording BBC R4.

Hi PM
That is very helpful. Thanks

Can you set the timer to record. For example could I set it now to record BBC Radio 4 tomorrow from 3pm to 4pm.
How many different programmes can I set the recording function for?

Brendan

You can, however, tune BBC radio in manually under "other channels" (effectively picking them up via the UK Freesat feed). This permits me to listen to R4 live, but it's not possible to record "other channels" as they don't appear on the Sky EPG for Ireland. I suspect Sky Q will be similar due to broadcast rights issues.

This is exactly the detail I need. I asked the very helpful guy in Sky to put it in writing, but apparently they can't.

Brendan

Yes, you can set the timer for future recordings. You can record as a one off, daily repeat or weekly repeat. I don't know if there is a limit, but if there is, I've never come close. It's a less user friendly interface than a Sky box, but perfectly useable. As I intimated above, I'm delighted with it and the 1080p HD picture is excellent.

User manual, with videos here https://www.freetv.ie/edision-progressive-hdc-nano-user-manual/

Paul

Back