How to let off steam when you can't post in that area.

MACTHEKNIFE

I've been using AAM for about 3 years now and have found it excellent. The look and feel of the new tool is good but from a user functionality perspective it can be infuriating.

The rules about who can add and who can post to certain topics don't make sense....... I can't post to LOS for example but I don't qualify under the no. of posting rule etc. I did a search for something innocuous today but am not allowed to go into a link.... what the hell is going on? Is there a new policy to restrict accessability to a golden circle?

My own view is that AAM used to be about people just being able to ask any obscure question and teh community would help out with the effect of overall enhancing everybodys knowledge of financial and non-financial matters. For one I would have recommended the site to literally hundreds of people on that basis. If we now have a situation where even registered users who have been part of the community for a decent period of time can't access a number of areas this in my view is a serious deterioration and a major turn off.

Maybe the restrictions could be reviewed by the mods taking into account the views of the punters who don't necessarily have all the access that the mods have?

MAC

Hi MAC - Due to overtrolling by a lot of new users etc we had to restrict the LOS forum to people who had some contribution to the site. I accept the point that your post count is down due to the changeover but unfortunately in order to stop wasting mods time this was the compromise.
My own view is that AAM used to be about people just being able to ask any obscure question and the community would help out with the effect of overall enhancing everybodys knowledge of financial and non-financial matters.
This kinda answers your question really as this is ultimately the aim of the site. LOS was for useful contributers to do just that - Let off steam.

elcato said:
Hi MAC - we had to restrict the LOS forum to people who had some contribution to the site

So Elcato the answer is to get the count up by posting drivel 50 times thereby cluttering up AAM but achieving the desired result?

Hi Mac

I did a search for something innocuous today but am not allowed to go into a link

Don't know why that was. The restrictions are only on posting not on reading. A small number of offensive posts are removed from public view, but they should not be coming up on the search either. If you can replicate the search, let me know the results.

As Elcato pointed out, the problem of rubbish was very severe, and while the solution is not perfect, you and all your friends have access to every question and answer forum, which is the main purpose of AAM.

OneKeano, as we have pointed out elsewhere. If someone posts drivel for any reason, we can reset their status to registered user, yellow card them so that their posts have to be approved before appearing, or in rare cases, we simply ban them.

Brendan

I had frequent poster status before the changeover. Now I dont. It was explained to me why and i think that we should all respect the views and restrictions by the moderators. They do a lot of good work on the site foc and we should adhere to their rules even if sometimes it goes against us.

You'll get back your frequent poster status eventually and I hope no-one will post drivel to do this. Anyone who does should be just banned form the site!

onekeano said:
So Elcato the answer is to get the count up by posting drivel 50 times thereby cluttering up AAM but achieving the desired result?
No - the answer is to post 50 useful answers that help other users in the spirit of the online community that has supported AAM through many issues.

I've seen the not allowed view link message a few times when clicking
on the "New posts" search php script at the top.

When I reload the page it lets me through.

(only one post away now ;-)

onekeano said:
Here's an example Brendan - try the link is "how reliable is a 156"

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=1375
That post is in our 'Deleted Posts' forum which is only visible to moderators. Given that it's a year old, I've no real idea why it got moved there - but there it is.

One of the mod's has fixed the search function so it no longer shows such posts - so this shouldn't be a problem in future.

Back