How to lay DEVI underfloor heating mat

OhPinchy

I am going to lay a DEVI underfloor heating mat in my bathroom but need some advice on how to go about it.

Electrician has run a cable for it so powering it is not a problem. I will double check but am pretty sure it’s the Devimat DTIF I got (got it half price off a mate who knows a lad who works for DEVI) so this one has only one cold tail making it easier to layout. It came with a length of thin black piping – is this to run the sensor through?

The instructions are pretty poor so I’m not sure what to do with the sensor – does it need to run across the mat or where should it go?

I will be laying ceramic tiles on top of the heating mat and my main question is: what should I put on top of the mat? Do I just lay the tile adhesive extra thick to cover the mat or should I put leveling compound over the mat and then tile adhesive on top of it? Do I need to get special heat resistant tile adhesive (stuff I have is flexible but doesn’t explicitly mention heat resistance)?

Should I staple the mat (taking care to miss the cables) to the 6mm plywood underneath which is firmly screwed into the floorboards below?

Do I need to put down insulation below the mat or will the plywood prevent it losing too much heat?

Thanks

We put down one of these a couple of years ago.

First we used self leveling compound because the floor was uneven. Then we had to get this special liquid to mix the adhesive with (stop it cracking with the heat). We taped the mat to the floor and spread the adhesive on top of the mat. (The mat otherwise floats to the top, which is annoying). The sensor goes to the surface to guage the ambient temperature of the room. We put it between two tiles.

About a year later, we got the house rewired. The electrician didn't want anything to do with the mat, and wouldn't re-wire the house unless he could disconnect the mat. He didn't like the idea of mixing electricity and bathrooms, and thought it might contravene health and safelty regulations. So it's now still disconnected.

The expensive part isn't really the mat. It's your extra electricity costs. We found it to ne not the most energy efficient way of heating a room.

umop3p!sdn
www.payback.ie

Hi

Does the DEVI mat work with carpet? I know it works with tiles but am wondering if it woprks just as well with carpet. Any ideas?

Also, who supplies these in Ireland?

Thanks

i have just ordered one to have fitted in two ensuites that i am building on i got mine in kellehers electrical wholesale dept tralee but got a price from heatmerchants who also do it kellehers were 200 euro cheaper i just sent them plans got quote and sent them cheque and they sent it out to me

Coleen

Thanks - do youi mind me asking how much it cost in total? I am thinking iof using it in a bedroom under carpet. The room is a spare room and I want to have this stuff under carpet to take the chill out when people are staying over.

it cost me 1200 euro for both they were cut according to the plans i think both rooms would be around 18by 10 this had termostat included