How to keep dust down on concrete floors

eggerb

I'm waiting on my new concrete floors to dry before I put down solid boards. (Another thread - sorry, I couldn't find it). In the meantime, the dust from the concrete is driving us nuts and probably isn't that healthy. A few people have told me there some "stuff" I can roller/paint on and this will keep the dust down. Can anybody tell me what exactly I'm looking for & how to do it. Secondly, will this stop the concrete from drying as thoroughly as if I just left it with nothing? Thanks.

Had the same problem a few months back - PVA bond. Roll it on with a roller. Naturally enough a concrete floor will soak up a good bit of it.

It definetely helped keep the dust down.

[broken link removed]

I used polybond when I moved into my apartment. Didn't get wooden floors for two months. It worked a treat.

As suggested Polybond (or PVA concrete sealer to use the generic term) is the product to use. I'd water it down considerably, a 1 litre tub would probably seal up to 90 sq. metres.

As the others say, Polybond is the job. We mixed it up in a bucket and applied it with an old mop. You mix it with water and has a very thin/watery consistency.Takes no time to do

D

Polybond diluted for the purposes of sealing concrete floors doesn't take long to dry especially if the house is well ventilated when you do it. I remember giving ours a couple of coats in an evening and it was dry in no time. Not sure about the moisture issue though.

paul5 said:
Might try this over the weekend. Will it take long to dry? More importantly, will it stop the mositure content from falling as I want it to? Cheers.

It's not going to impact on moisture content- you're applying the mix at maybe maybe 2 or 3 litres per 100 sq. m. and this is not going to penetrate to the core of the floor, it will maybe permeate 3-6mm at most and will evaporate very quickly if heating and ventilation are adequate.

Back