How to install electric antenna on 1999 hyundai accent

rebeller

How's it going,

The original (non-electric) aerial on my car has been broken off by some mindless yobs so I thought I'd give a go at fitting an electric replacement. I've got my hands on a generic brand power antenna compatible with the accent. Could anyone here advise how to install it?

There are 3 wires (black, red and green). I understand that the black wire should be connected to the vehicle body as an earth, the red wire to the positive terminal of the battery and the green to the radio. Apparently I need to connect the red wire using a switched fuse. How exactly would I do this? Could I fit an inline fuse on the red wire just before it connects to the battery terminal or do I need to connect it to a separate switch inside the car cabin? If the latter, how would I do this?

I'd appreciate any info, advice, recommendations.

You'll should install the inline fuse as near to the battery as possible and connect it directly to the red wire, the green wire should be connected to the antenna driver on the radio. It'll put up the areial when the radio is switched on and down when off.
If your radio doesn't provide this you'll need to connect it to the ignition sense on the radio they all have this. You'll have to test whether the green wire needs to be connected to ground or 12v to drive the aerial try ground first shouldn't do any harm if you're wrong. An off delay timer may be required to drive the aerial down after the ignition is switched off.

Any questions just PM me.

HTH

Back