How to I claim an over payment of PRSI back

manwithvan

HI All
We have a limited company and we recently realised a mistake made of over paying PRSI. The reason for the over payment was one director was classed as employees and paid PRSI when I should not of done so.

Any ideas on which forms to fill or who to contact about it????

Write to the

PRSI Refund Department,
Oisin House,
212 - 213 Pearse Street,
Dublin 2

at the year end enclosing a copy of the P60. You will need to write on behalf of the company to reclaim the companies share and the employee will have to write to claim his overpayment back.

I had to do this last year and it takes ages to get the refund, but I rang one day (after a few months) as I was needed to get the refund sorted both for the company and the employee and the girl that answered the phone told me to send in a letter saying that the company was going through financial difficulty at present and she said 9 times out of 10 it get looked at sympathetically, she gave me a fax number and I faxed a letter straight away and put the hard copy in the post, I had the refund and the employee had his within a month.

It might be a lot easier than that if it's just 2009.

Effectively, you pay paye and prsi on account every month. But you don't do the return until the end of the year.

So you can redo your returns and calculate the overpayment. Then reduce your next return by this amount.

Brendan