How to get the most of a server? (in a nutshell)

MissRibena

Hi everyone

I work in a small company. We have a file server and 5 five workstations at the moment (server 2003 and XP). AT the moment we really only use the server for files and central back-up and anti-virus as the internet comes though the broadband router.

I would like to learn more about networks so that we can get the maximum benefit of having it but I don't want to learn a whole load of high-level stuff that will never be used. All the books I find look really indepth in specific areas that I don't even know if I need. I found http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764504762/102-6632083-8616160?v=glance&n=283155 (this one) which looks like it gives a half-decent overview to get me started but it looks out of date.

I'm in the midlands so training off-site locally isn't really an option - a book or online site would be useful. Has anyone any recommendations for books or websites or how to approach this?

Thanks
Rebecca

Have a read of some Microsoft articles (but ignore the bits where Linux gets a slagging). You shouldn't go looking for problems to solve with your server if you don't have any, but centralised e-mail, calandering and contacts might be areas of interest.

Thanks dearg. That's what I had in mind and I'd like to learn a bit more about admin for the users and security for files. I have a basic idea but it's only what I've picked up on the hoof and I'm always a bit terrified I'll make a mess of the whole network.

If it didn't turn out to be too much hassle, I'd like to get a database up on the server too.

Rebecca

I'm with Dearg. Dont look for problems if you havent got any. However the most important thing with any server is Backup. Make sure you are taking daily backups of your server. Nothing like losing a server without a backup to make your life a misery.......

As I dont know what your business is I will assume a few things.
Other things you server can be use for.

1:Faxing from PC's
2:CRM
3:Accounts
4:Remote access for tele workers or managers.
5.Imaging.
6:EPOS
Just a few.

If there is a local FAS office near youn they run IT courses which give you an overview of IT systems.

Thanks everyone.

Yes the server is currently mostly used for back-up (with a HP Tape drive). I appreciate the argument for "if it ain't broke" but I still feel that it's being under utilised and that it would definitely be no harm for someone (i.e. me) to be a bit more knowledgeable about them.

Tyrell is right in the kinds of things I had in mind. I know that they would probably mean further investment in software but I want to figure out if it would be worth it. Thanks for the suggestion about FAS - will definitely check that out.

Rebecca

I seem to remember that "dummy's guide book", more focused on application development I think, which is not what you want.

As has been said already, don't look for problems that aren't there. Have a look at the microsoft links. Probably want to go down the route of adding apps like a database.

Might be worth looking into a beginners access database training course. Or a different dummies guide book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...-2445220?v=glance&n=266239&s=gateway&v=glance

Take a look at Sharepoint also (from Microsoft) there are lots of templates available for everything from expense management to CRM, etc, and you can start using the server as an intranet.

I'd recommend setting up sending and recieveing Faxes from the PC's. Very handy and sales paper too.

Its pretty easy to set up a VPN for remote access to the server. The MD will love it too, and he'll poboably stay home and telework more often.

If you want CRM I recommend [broken link removed] - its open source and free, and much better than Microsoft.

is great for accessing your emails on any othre computer when away form the office.

Thank again everyone. The Sugar software looks really interesting.

As does Outlook Web Access which looks like we would need Exchange to use, which we don't have. Am I right in thinking that that could be the next thing we invest in?

Re faxes from PC on a network ... Our fax is currently on an analogue line (with number on headed paper etc). Is there software that wouldn't require Exchange that would allow all the 5 networked PCs to send faxes (and receive them)?

Thanks
Rebecca

Exhchange / Sharepoint are excellent for a small office, and you can try something like Fenestrae Fax and SMS which adds sms/fax functionality right into outlook.

Beware of installing new software and the costs involved.
In particular Ms Exchange. I've managed many of these and unless you really know your stuff they are a PITA to fix if things go wrong.
If u really want 2 stick with the Ms scenario (and 2b honest client s/w is 'worth' it but server side (for SMB's) rarely so unless u've an IT guy or some competent IT helper on the side that knows their stuff and ain't gonna charge an arm-n-a-leg) then I'd suggest looking at SBS (small business server). The wizards in that make it pretty painless. However beware the costs later if u want to upgrade/expand.

Also u may consider moving to a Linux server instead of Microsoft. Its a lot easier than it used 2 be but won't advise unless u have time on your hands to try it or have someone 2 lean on (helpwise)

This isn't really a them v's us (Linux v's Ms) issue but u need to know what business issues u are trying 2 solve BEFORE u decide what technology 2 throw at it etc...

However all of the above is irrelevant compared to ...
a backup is useless if u've never tried to restore from it.

Lal

Seems to me that there is a danger of putting the cart (IT developments/enhancements) before the horse (business processes/goals) here. Obviously IT can help businesses innovate but the key issue is to understand the business process requirements and then put in place IT structures that support those. Not the other way around - i.e. not techie solutions for the sake of it. Ask your "users" what they need and what aspects of their work might be best served by automation or IT infrastructural enhancements first. On the other hand if you are interested in technology generally then by all means learn about it anyway. There is a wealth of information freely available on the web these days.

you need to be very wary of some of the suggestions here - setting up secure VPN access is not a trivial exercise and if done incorrectly is potentially fatal.

Avoid getting amateurs to do anything. I've seen the effects of amateurs and semi-amateurs and thet are not always pretty.

Back