How to get out of 3 year lease on house.

Haille

Not sureif this is the correct section. A friend of mine took out a 3 year lease on a house in a small town in the west of Ireland with a view to providing alternative therapies.Other therapists were also to provide various therapies.The landlord or my friend did nt have specific planning permission for the change of use of the house. With the economic downturn things did nt work out . My friend wants end the lease as she has no income from this centre.The landlord refuses saying she signed a 3 year lease.Any advice please. I told her to contact PTRB as the landlord has her registered as a tenant.What is the validity of the lease if no suitable planning permission exists for this centre. My friend does nt want to go to solicitor due to expense.

The fact that the landlord has registered her as a tenant with the PRTB suggests that the house was leased as a residential property i.e. a home. I assume it has planning permission to be a home. If the OPs friend wishes to use it for anything else, it is their responsibility to ensure that the proposed use complies with planning rules. I would imagine that if it is proposed to change the usage from residential to commericial, that this cannot be done without the agreement of the landlord and he is under no obligation to agree.

Man thanks for replies.The landlord was aware the house was going to be used as a commercial centre.He had no problem as long as he got the rent. Just wondering if the tenant is not bound by the 3 year lease unless it was specified on lease that it was to be used as a commercial premises.

The lease is for a residential property, the registration is with the PRTB, so commercial use cannot have been specified in the lease or registration documents. Anything outside of the documents is hearsay, as no-one can produce evidence as to what the landlord was (or was not) aware of.

I don't see any way out for your friend using imagined legal loopholes (I'm not a lawyer).

Back