How to get off this junk fax list?

Dave Vanian

We get regular junk faxes from different businesses, but I suspect they're all being sent from the same junk faxing service. Mostly hotels and holiday operators. All feature the same small print at the bottom - "To stop receiving faxes from XYZ Hotel, ring (01) 4800XXX. Your number is (01) XXXXXX."

So you can unsubscribe from the particular hotel, but you'll still get more rubbish from the next hotel, who will have a different number to unsubscribe.

Anyone know anything about who's the actual bulk fax sender and how to unsubscribe from the whole lot?

If you have a postal address for whoever is sending it, you might consider posting it back to them, with no stamp, along with lots of other weighty materials to build up the postage charge with a request for removal. I don't know if this will be effective, but it will certainly make you feel better.

Thanks for this. I like your stye.

While I could get the address for the specific hotel that is being advertised on one of the faxes, it still doesn't get me to the source of all the bulk faxes, which I presume is some sort of advertising / spam / junk fax bureau, that charges the hotels for its service.

Have a look at the following which may be of some help but is a fairly cumbersome process

[broken link removed]

Ireland seems to lag behind other countries in relation to do not call lists.

We get those at work too, so one day last week I took the three that had come in that morning and phoned each of the numbers to unsubscribe. It was really annoying because the numbers were very similar (with differing digits at the end of each number, as most companies with multiple phone extensions would have) and I got the same recorded voice each time, but the message was specific to that particular piece of junk mail (meaning I couldn't do the whole lot in one phone call). The procedure was pretty straightforward - all I had to do was key in my fax number. Haven't had any more since, but I'm just waiting for a new "offer" to be devised by whoever these people are ...

Aha - got a fax from the service provider advertising their "fax broadcast" services. Now I have a contact for the company itself and can ask to be removed from their list. I'll let you know how I get on.

Don't ask - insist that you are removed, and refer frequently to the Data Protection Commissioner.

You could always write to each of the companies and state that due to continuous spamming of your fax machine that their name is being added to a list of comapanies that each employee in your company is boycotting and that the name will only be deleted from the list after 6 months free of spam.

Do any of these junk faxes have a fax number for the business being advertised? Simply send them about 100 faxes all with the message "Your business is now blacklisted by all our staff due to your junk faxes. Please ensure our number is removed from your agent's database". Keep doing that every week until you get a result. It costs more for them to print a fax than it does you to send it.