How to get cross out of TV

wheeler

Ok.. I was adjusting my TV the other day and the cross on my chain was snagged on the outer casing of the tv. The cross came off the chain and it now sitting on top of the inner casing of the tv. I can see it through the grill (about 3mm between bars) of the casing and it's sitting on another grill only a centimeter inside.

I want to get it back out but am afraid to mess too much with it incase it falls thru that grill as well. At least it is doing no harm where it is.

Any ideas on how to get it?

I could take off the outer casing and get it but I'm afraid it will affect my warranty as the tv is only a couple of months old. Any definite ideas on this?

And I have been told that even if I use the smallest magnet that it will affect the colors on the screen.

It's a 32 inch LCD flatscreen.

Can you turn it upside down and try to manouevre it out? Or maybe use a long thin tweezers?

Do NOT use a magnet anyway, and make sure the TV is unplugged from the socket before you try anything. If it went in that easy, it should come out just as easily. Without exerting too much force, try manouver it as much as possible.

If that fails then removing the cover is probably the best option.

Get a bit of rigid wire (e.g. a long paperclip or something similar) and fashion a hooking device out of it - or use something like [broken link removed].

Rigid wire as above ( hanger is good) . chewing gum ( well chewed). Small piece of chewing gum at end of wire...you get the picture?

Bob

I would saw don't use a magnet, if it's a silver or gold chain it will be no use anyway and it will definitely screw your TV up. First of all make sure the power is turned off before you poke anything into the TV (especially metal)- you're warranty on your TV will be the last thing to worry about. I would say try use a non-conductive instrument (a variation on penangs technique would be chopstick / toothpick with aforementioned chewing gum / blue tack on top). Give that a try....

quinno said:
I would say try use a non-conductive instrument

Agreed, TVs contain capacitors etc that can store a considerable electric charge, even when they're turned off/ plugged out. I would use a long timber skewer (used for BBQ, kebabs etc) with a Pritt glue dot stuck to the end. Have a tweezers ready when the cross is within "plucking" distance. Failing that I'd remove the cover anyway- having a loose piece of metal lying around inside the casing could be a potential fire hazard if a short circuit happened.

I must admit I'm not up to speed on LCD's (in terms of the currents / voltages they use in side), but that sounds like wise advice. I know 'old' CRT TV's have several kilovolts inside them.....

a drop of superglue on the end of a piece of string or wire perhaps

Maybe try to suck it out with a hoover. Make sure you have emptied it first