Key Post How to get an NCT appointment in a hurry

FANTANA

If you log in just after 11pm every night that's when they update all the cancellations. You should get a slot handy enough doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
As well as the tip above re checking after their cancellations update at night, check other nearby test centres.

I'm not sure what it's like now, but I know a few years ago I was able to get a closer appointment when I called them, but it was at very short notice - e.g yes, bring it in tomorrow at 10:00. They've probably updated how they handle cancellations since.

I booked online earlier this year and the date was very long after my expiry date.

I then called and they were very helpful - they put me on a cancellation list.

A few days later, I got a text giving me a much earlier date.

Brendan

Other suggestions from older threads - not sure if they are still valid.

1) You can book your NCT up to 3 months before the due date.
2) Ring at 8 am each morning and you will get a cancellation
3) There is (was?) and option when booking "If this date is more than 4 weeks away you can request an earlier appointment by clicking here"

My NCT expires mid Sept
I tried to book a few months ago and it said it wasn't open for booking.
I tried just now, and the earliest date is January!

But there seems to be a new Priority List or maybe I had not seen it before.

If a customer requires an earlier appointment than those available online, we ask you to please place yourself on the priority list and we will endeavour to get you an appointment within 28 days. The option to add your vehicle to the Priority list can be found during the booking process.

So, I started the booking process and just added my name to the list. I got an email saying I was on the Priority List so I will have that if I am stopped by the Garda.

Brendan

If you phone rather than book online, I understand that an even faster appointment is possible.

In my recent experience email worked fine, and saved a potentially long period on hold on the phone.

Appointments were offered for both cars due tests ahead of their test dates.
In both cases the emails requesting placement on the priority list were sent approx. 2 to 2.5 months in advance of the test due dates.

I added myself to the priority list in Galway on July 31st, got an appointment on August 2nd for August 21st. So not too bad. NCT was due end of September.

Priority list online worked for me too. Applied with less than a month to go and received a date a couple of weeks later with an appointment 9 days after expiry.

If you're due a service, many mechanics close to the NCT centres seem to be able to get them in and tested on the day.

If you're due a service, many mechanics close to the NCT centres seem to be able to get them in and tested on the day.
Surely mechanics can't get appointments any quicker than the general public?

Surely mechanics can't get appointments any quicker than the general public?
They just walk up to the counter, outside Dublin but some of my in-laws use a mechanic that has in the past got them a test while the car is with them for a service. Not sure if it's still as prevalent but the last time I was getting mine tested a guy in overalls went up to the counter greeting the staff member by name and said 'I have three for you today' and they discussed times.

They just walk up to the counter, outside Dublin but some of my in-laws use a mechanic that has in the past got them a test while the car is with them for a service.
I've 1st hand experience of this too. Mechanic drops the car in, and it's tested same day when there's a quiet time.

Possibly indicative of the number of no-shows!
Spot on, Leo.

Story last week: ‘Damaging decision’ – NCT urged to reverse decision to end cash payments as operator blames no-shows

NCT wants to have everyone pay online before their appointment to avoid no-shows and late cancellations:

"This decision has been prompted by the continuous high level of no shows where customers are failing to show up for their confirmed appointments on a weekly basis which is severely impacting the level of service we provide...

The decision to move to a 100pc prepayment is with our customers in mind and to provide them with a much-improved service in terms of availability of appointments and a more efficient service.

We do understand there is a cohort of customers who do not use online services and who may be directly impacted by this, we have made the provision for these customers to pay by bank draft or by a postal order which can be purchased from any An Post office throughout the country.”

Cue onslaught from people paranoid about cashless societies plus the usual TDs like Peadar Tóibín talking about older people as if they are braindead: "Older people have to ask their children or their neighbours to carry out everyday actions on their behalf. This does real damage to their confidence." Despite the company saying there would be other options if online payment was not possible.

So service will continue to suffer.

Back