How to find out what weight attic could support

sosulliv

I have been in touch with the architect who built the house I live in, but they were not very helpful. I want to use the attic to store wine and need to check whether it would support this -- it is floored out, so obviously meant for storage, but not necessarily for heavy stuff. So is a structural engineer the correct person to contact? If so does anyone have any recommendations (I'm in Dun Laoghaire).

Thanks very much for your help.
Sara

yes, definitely a structural engineer.....

he will need to do mathematical calculations to determine what loading the floor can take.

he will have to know certain things about the floor however, which may mean taking up certain sections of the flooring to see how its constructed and with what grade of materials.

If you value your wine, don't store it in the attic, of all places !

Wine needs to be stored at a constant temperature, hence why cellars are used. An attic is about as far from a cellar (in temperature stability as well as in distance ) as you can get. In the summer it'll get hot during the day and cold at night, your wine will definitely turn bad!

If you have under stairs storage, that'd be the best place for the plonk. If you've not got enough storage, I'd be happy to give some of it a good home

Thanks sydthebeat. Just need to find one now.

I am planning to convert the attic into a proper storage area, not just put wine up there!

Last edited: