How to find out the year a house was built

1dave123

Hi Folks

I am trying to establish the year a house was built so that I can renew the house insurance. I believe the house is > 100 years old but the u/writers say they need to know the exact year.

Up until now we have all been working on the basis of a house build date of 1900 - but I am not so sure this is correct and it needs sorting

I had a look at the landregistry website and from the map it appears that the house (in Dublin 4) or the area is not registered with them. Is this a surprise?

Assuming the above is correct, I was thinking of contacting the solicitor who currently holds the title deeds .... presumably the date of build will be on those documents somewhere. Is this a fair bet or am I more likely heading into a cul-de-sac

Would appreciate a steer.

PS The house is my mothers and was bought in 1972. None of the original neighbours are about any more.

Many thanks

Hey dave

I also own a pre 1900 dublin 4 house. When we purchased the house our solictor was able to tell us the exact date it was first registered. Of course that might not have been the build date, but was close enough for insurance purposes.

So contact the solicitor is the best bet.

Is it leasehold? The mortgage company (or your mother) should have a copy of the original lease. Is the house listed on the 1901 census?

Hi guys - thanks for your replies.

Bazermc - yes I think that is what I will do. With a bit of luck something will be in the title deeds.

SarahMc - I'm not sure to be honest, my mother/father paid off the mortgage many years ago now (>25 years). Really like your suggestion re the census (hadn't considered that). Had a look and found the house in the 1911 census but not the 1901 census. The street itself is in the 1901 census though with some strange house numbers - so I suppose the house could have had a different number in those days.

Thx again folks

I think thats a common problem with 1901 census, the numbers were just made up if there was noone in, or perhaps house numbers werent common then. In any case the local history section of your county library will have old ordnance survey maps, and helpful staff. Some are also online at osi.ie

I guarantee an enjoyable afternoon browsing through them.