How to dispose of cut branches / shrubs / etc.

frash

Having moved into a 2nd hand house before xmas that has quite an overgrown garden I've made a start on clearing it & now have a HUGH pile of branches, shrubs, ivy, grasses, etc. that I have to get rid of.

What's the best way?
Obviously I could just get a skip but is there a "green" skip you can get for this kinda thing?
Maybe I should rent a garden shredder but then I'll have to get rid of the shredded material - or can this be used as some sort of fertiliser?

Hi
Some Local Authorities, recycling centres take garden waste for €2 per car load, vans are a bit more expensive. I bring all my clippings and cut branches there.

Thanks for the replies.

Head-wrecked - I think I'd need quite a few trips in a van but it's an option.
Brodiebabe - I'll look into that - thanks

If the van has company logos on it they will class it as a commerical vehicle and won't allow it in.

Just check before hand.

Will keep that in mind Buzzard.

If I was to rent a shredder then could I use the shredded material for anything like fertiliser or is it more like mowed grass & just good for composting?

Rent a shredder and bag the waste. It will be alot less in volumne and cleaner to transport.

Bot sure I'd have the nerve to risk burning it even though your link says it's ok.
My garden can be like a wind tunnel at times so I'd be afraid!

I cut down masses of hedge some pieces several inches thick and filled the entire garden (very large garden). Hired a shredder from Chadwicks (industral strength) for weekend and reduced it all to a couple of piles of chippings etc. The only way to go.