How to dispose of a 1997 Volvo 940 - head gasket gone

carpedeum

I have a 1997 Volvo 940 2.3i Classic Saloon that has blown the head gasket.

I have reluctantly decided (family man etc!) not to get it repaired as the quotations I have got from Volvo and non-Volvo mechanics range from €2,500 to €3,500 which, anyway, is too near to or in excess of the market value of the car if the engine was still in pmo! I had every intention of keeping the car for a few more years, but, I have been forced to face reality!

Can anybody advise what is the best way of disposing of the car? Is there a good breakers yard (North Dublin in preference)? The body is perfect (alloys etc, 98K on the clock) and the tyres are a couple of months old! If I got back a few hundred Euro I would be happy... am I being too optimistic? I have been trying to find a Volvo enthusist and have advertised in Buy and Sell, but to no avail.

There is a scrapyard on the airport to swords road near Airside- I know nothing about it apart from it exists

If you have no joy in selling it and want to just get rid of it free of charge then try jumbletown.ie. Its a site where you give and take free stuff.

2500 for replacing a head gasket seems way too high to me.

I think you could source a decent second hand engine and pop it in for a lot less.

two points - 1. previous poster is correct - an exchange engine is a good idea - google trainors in the north and ring them - see if they can supply one to suit - you then need a workshop/mechanic to fit it.

2. more importantly - you have to be really carefull disposing of a car - thru an advert etc - change of ownership/speeding fines/parking fines etc
and what happens if the guy who collects - resells it - i'mNOT saying you're any way responsible for what happens next but - would you be happy.

however - if you ring volvo .... customer services they are now obliged to give you details of where you can bring it for recycling - you may be charged though.

€2,500 to repair a blown gasket seems high to me aswell, but it does depend on how much damage was done when it blew. I got the head gasket done on a Land Rover Freelander for €800

Why not stick it in buy and sell for parts, free ad and free to tow or even €50 for lot, but get change of ownership signed, or it could cost you to have it sent to scrap yard.

Some councils offer a removal service for old car. For instance Fingal CC charges €50 for this service.

have you still got the car? I need a volvo 940 for parts, please txt me on 086 6610157 thanks

Back