How to correctly instruct a solicitor?

A

AskAboutIt

As per title, what would be the formal way to instruct a solicitor?
particularly the older style that don't take head of general emails etc and ask to take instruction on matters.
Surely they can provide advice on best approach or suggest strategies that would have positive outcomes, etc.

Or do you have to instruct them to give advice on matters? Lol

Not sure what you're asking but some thoughts:

I have a saying:

My clients come to me with their problem and , usually, their preferred solution which, very often, has no basis in fact, reality or law! Telling me that all they want is to "be happy" does not help. Coming to me with no thought process as to where they want the situation to end is not helpful either. Sitting on the problem until the day before a Court hearing and expecting an immediate response from the solicitor after one panic stricken telephone call- ditto.

The solicitors job is to try and "worm" the actual details of the problem from the client ( and this can be very hard when you are facing massive resistance to reality), see what, if any, are available solutions or hard reality, present these to the cleint and then take their instructions as to what it is they want to do.

Of some of the more tedious people I have spoken to this week:

1. But I didn't cause this problem - Response: And nor did I.
2. Why do I have to do everything? Response: get over it - that's life and waiting for someone else to sort it out seldom achieves anything. I call this "waiting for the man to come and fix it"
3. Why do I have to pay you when it's someone elses fault: Response: You engage me, you pay me.

And don't start me on the: "My solicitor made me", "Its not me, its the solicitor"........

So, the best way of instructing a solicitor is probably to arrange a once off consultation with someone, do a written precis of the issues, in advance, and forward it, write down the questions you want to ask and listen to what the solicitor has to say. Do not expect a full response on one meeting - be prepared to listen to a proposal as to where the matter might go, the steps that may need to be taken, the professionals who may need to be engaged, some approximate costings and then expect to be asked to confirm your instructions in writing.

It is quite astonishing the number of clients who want the solicitor to be constantly available for every tiny query but who baulk when asked to pay for the solicitor's time. And who disremember the issue of paying for a service.

mf

OK mf1, I see why you are so knowledgeable LOL.
Perhaps you could help me understand if I am not being reasonable with a solictor or explain their point of view.

(see other post about the person attending court without knowledge of his client).
Also I wonder what should be done if advice given by a solicitor contradicts that of everyone else (other organisations, etc, including other solicitors and even FLAC)

Would like to give benefit of the doubt where possible but really it's difficult to ignore what some (professionals) have described as outright lies, while others (mainly lay people) see no issues. I know there is a problem somewhere but would prefer it to be incompetence rather than malice as I can definately relate to that...

Tried to keep an open mind despite personal concerns and the comments on the rate your solicitor site (yes this one is in the hall of shame, but I decided to use anyhow)

Back