How to correct wrong records in the Garda and court database ?

A

aa.ie

Few years ago I was stopped by Garda on the road. I was a little bit drunk. They have taken me to a Garda station where I have submitted a specimen.

Results were slightly above the limit and I have got 3 months disqualification in court later on. I HAVE NO QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS.

On that day I could not produce my DL (it was in a wallet, wallet was in a bag and the bag was in the boot. I forgot about it at that time). I was told to bring the DL and insurance cert netx day.

I HAVE DONE THIS.

I have brought DL and insurance cert the very next morning. Unfortunatelly the Garda on duty the following morning did not make a record about this (or he did, I do not know where to check).

As a result charges on driving without insurance were brought against me in court alongside the charges on drunk driving. I hired a solicitor to handle the case. I have got a 3 months, small fine and small expences to pay.

Now I have requested a copy of court orders. There it is said that I have PLEADED GUILTY on all offences, including driving without insurance and failure to produce. This is not true, I have only pleaded guilty on the Drunk Driving offence. I did not plead guilty on driving without insurance and failure to produce (as I did produce the DL and isurance cert in time).

Now I have talked to the Garda officer who brought the charges to the court, he said nothign can be done now.

Now I have talked to the solicitor who worked on my case - he also said it is not possible to correct the record at this stage.

I just can not believe nothing can be done. There is an incorrect information on records and it is affecting me and my life.

I would appreciate if someone could advise on what can be done to correct the records.

Thanks a lot in advance !

I would start by speaking with the District Court Clerk. If that doesn't succeed then start a paper trail by writing to the District Court Clerk.
Then if that no use forward correspondence to the Dept of Justice.
Have as much detail as you can including Garda name, Court dates etc.
If you went to the Garda station with your documents did the Garda enter it on a computer. If he did he should be ther and possibly the prosecuting Garda didn't check before issuing a summons

Yorrick, thanks for the response.

>> If you went to the Garda station with your documents did the Garda enter it on a computer. If he did he should be ther and possibly the prosecuting Garda didn't check before issuing a summons

I do believe this is a case. Now I went to the Garda station, there was an officer on duty. I have described what the story is. He said that I should deal with the officer who brought the charges to the court.

I have spoken this man as well. He just said that there were no records in their book (I am not sure this is true) that I have shown the requested documents on the day following the offence. Is there a way I can check this ? Should I try to somehow communicate to his senior officer ???

FYI Now I have also got a copy of the tax cert and a paper from the motor tax office that at that date I did have an insurance cert and valid DL....

Back