How to cook a duck for Christmas

MandaC

ok- without realising it, I have been roped in to do the familyt Christmas dinner. (5 adults and 2 kids)

I hate turkey, so am trying something different.

I have ordered 2 x Free Range Chickens (ordered directly from Farm and apparently are quite small) and 1 x Free Range Duck.

Question is - best way to cook the duck for Christmas day.

I did 2 ducks for 6 people a couple of years ago - and it was great. They cook much quicker than Turkeys and of course can be served slightly pink. Also - they don't require a lot of attention while cooking - no need to baste etc. If you can, use a baking dish/tray with a metal grate to put the duck on so that the fat drips off.
I followed Delia. If you need the recipe, pm me your e-mail address and I'll scan the pages tomorrow.

Last edited:
I follow Delia too! The key thing is to pierce the duck in a few places (top and bottom) with a skewer to let the fat drip out and as juke says to lift the duck off the tray (you can use scrunched up tin foil for this).

easy do it like this and it will be a great.turn oven on 180.put duck in a deep oven try with 3 cups hot water and 2 tablespoons of lard/pig fat.prick a few times with a tooth pick.put duck in oven for 45 mins.
then chop an onion into small pieces and put over duck with 1 teaspoon of cumin.
baste and return to oven for 40-50 mins.basting every 15 mins.
you may need to add a little hot water at the end of the first 45 mins.
duck with turn out juicy and soft.(i lived in czech and we used to cook duck every sunday.yummy.