How to convert old Handycam 8mm video to DVD

Kenbo

Hi All
I have lots of old 8mm video tapes on a Sony Handycam which I would like to convert to DVD format for ease of use. I was thinking of buying a DVD recorder to record the tapes and then simply record onto DVDs, is this the best way to go? If so, any recommendations on the best type of recorder to buy and the best place to get it?
Thanks
Kenbo

Do you have a HDD recorder for watchign Live TV and pausing live TV?
I use that. Hook the camcorder up and hit play/record. Then I can edit out bits I don't want, and burn to the DVD.

Hi Fraggle
No we just have the basic Sky package,so I presume I need to get a DVD recorder or upgrade to Sky plus ( which I hoped to avoid! ) Which is a good recorder?
Thanks
Kenbo

I don't have Sky Plus so don't know if that will work.

I think HDD DVD Recorders can be problematic. I have a Philips which is working fine. Lots of people have problems with others.

In fact, I know that there was a supplier of a "microchip" that handled all the fancy stuff, that went bust a while back. They supplied all the big brands including Sony. As a result the latest Sony models are not as good as the previous ones. I might be slightly out of date on this but I'd do alot of research on the brand you might be interested in online before buying.

It might be possible to do similar with just a simple DVD recorder. The input would just be the video cam instead of the TV signal.

If you are anywhere near a Peats or Maplin they can be very helpful (or even over the phone) and tell you the easiest setup and any connectors/adaptors you might need for the cables.

Peats are online now so you could ring them and order online (and are Irish).

We got a device in ALDI a few years ago that works great to convert from a Canon Hi8 camcorder to the PC, from where it can be edited and burned to DVD (software included).

I was in ALDI at the weekend and they still had them in stock - in the glass case.

I have also picked up a unit like that and found it difficult to use. I had to spend hours imported, converting, editing and burning. Perhaps my machine was too slow!

Hi All
I have lots of old 8mm video tapes on a Sony Handycam which I would like to convert to DVD format for ease of use. I was thinking of buying a DVD recorder to record the tapes and then simply record onto DVDs, is this the best way to go? If so, any recommendations on the best type of recorder to buy and the best place to get it?
Thanks
Kenbo

How does the video camera interface with your PC, or does it? May need a video grabber or suchlike, once you figure this out you are half way there.

There are myriad programs on the market to allow you import video footage, convert them, edit them and create DVD's with very professional looking menus.

Okay thanks for all the replies, will try to get a converter in Aldi or Maplins. Although it seems to be a long drawn out process ( depending on computer speeds etc?)
Thanks
Kenbo

Okay thanks for all the replies, will try to get a converter in Aldi or Maplins. Although it seems to be a long drawn out process ( depending on computer speeds etc?)
Thanks
Kenbo

Feeding it directly into a DVD recorder is the simplest method to transfer your content to DVD and is not a long drawn out process, but depending on type of recorder used your editing and menu options will be severely restricted compared to using a dedicated PC program.

Back