How to connect telephone points and wires

pator

Hi,
Two related questions.

1. I have a 2nd telephone point in the bedroom that is not connected, it runs down to behind the main telephone socket in the hallway but is not connected to anything there. How do I connect this? Its the new style socket in the hallway (ie in two pieces to take apart)

2. I have a spare telephone wire going from tv point up to attic, its not connected to anything, I now want to use it for sky, is there a way i can connect (join) this into the other phone cable which runs thru the attic.?

Thanks. Pat

Hi Pat all telephone wires are always parelled ..
(With the exception of a monitored alam which is in series)
It is always the pair that connects to the center 2 pins in any socket (red & green)
Simply jion the extension pair with these & connect the same at the new socket.

Thanks for that Colm,

So for the socket I am just joining the red and green wires of the new cable to the points already connected on the socket ?

And in attic just cut the wires and join the green and red and leave everthing else?

Do i need a joiner or anything? Thanks

I think what Colm was saying is that the centre pins are connected to red and green wires, your cables may have different colours but once you use the same colours at both ends then it shouldn't matter.

In the attic - are you sure that it's the telephone cable?

If I understand what you've described is:
You have one working telephone point at the moment, a wire from there to the bedroom and a wire from the attic to a point near the TV.

Aside from the cable from the TV point which of the other cables go into the attic?

If it's the cable to the bedroom you need to connect 2 wires from the TV point to the 2 wires that you use on the main socket.

If it's the cable feeding the main socket you need to connect 2 wires from the TV point to the same wires as used to feed the main socket.

Use a connection box if possible or at least small electrical connectors.

Thanks Pee.
Ya u have go it right. I have connected the point going to the bedroom and that seems to be working fine now.

Good point on why is there other telephone cable in the attic, I thought that perhaps it was coming up from the bedroom going across the attic and back down to main socket, that does seem a bit of a mad way to run cable. It does come up from the wall overhead where the phone point is in the bedroom. But not sure so may have to give up - could it possibley be a similar cable to the smoke alarm or some such like?

Yes that was also a question, from your comments it seems it is possible to get connection boxs for phone cable, will look tomorrow.

Last edited:
why don't you just get a dect phone and a wireless router (for bb) - then you only need one working socket

Well one good reason would be that wireless is usually slower than a hardwired.

Pator,

We recently connected ou phone line and eircom rep was using blue and white wires. She said these are the colours they are using now.

blue and white? our house is only 4 months old and not using those...uses red and green as always..

If you have a multimeter the pair that is live will always be around 50vdc

Blue white /white blue is what they are using for the phone , sounds like the green & red cables are alarm cables unless the electrican ran out of phone cable & put in the alarm cable instead.

aren't blue and blue/white part of the twisted pair for alarm cable?

a google search has loads of references to red green as the live pair in a phone cable

Thanks for all the advice, got everything sorted and all points are now working fine.
It was blue and white/blue wires that were used everywhere (connected to L1 and L2) red/green seems to be the old standard.