How to compose your own ringtones?

A

ajapale

A few years ago you could compose (and send / recieve) your own ring tones on certain models of mobile phone. Does any one know how to compose ringtones for recent models?

I have a few traditional Irish airs that I would like to turn into ring tones and distribute to my friends in Ireland and abroad.

I use a nokia 6310i at present but will be upgrading soon.

Thanks,
ajapale

Most ringtones are simple MIDI files and there are plenty of them about as it is - no need to convert. Have a look here for a start.

Thanks Fr.D

I have located midi files for the traditional tunes. Do you know how do I get the midi file from the computer to the nokia 6310i and set it up as the ring tone?
thanks again,
ajapale

To put the tones on your phone from your PC you will need one of the following:
1) data cable to connect PC to phone and software from Nokia to load data
2) if you have a PC/laptop with infra-red then you can send it by infra-red to your phone
3) if you have a PC/laptop with bluetooth then you can send it by bluetooth to your phone

Did you get any kind of PC connectivity accessories/software? If not, then one option would be to use the bluetooth feature on the phone and then buy a bluetooth adapter for your PC/laptop. That's what I've got going at home. You can then transfer files in a snap. If you've got a laptop the chances are it has infrared. That's another option.

Worst comes to the worst, you can pick up a bluetooth USB adapter for about €30. I think even Argos have them.

A few years ago you could compose (and send / recieve) your own ring tones on certain models of mobile phone. Does any one know how to compose ringtones for recent models?

I have used LogoManager for years to do this - register (paid for it) once and have been getting free updates since. Highly recommended.

Only works for Nokia phones and not for smartphones.

Requires a cable or infrared connection - on the 6310 you can of course do both. Should work with Bluetooh as well.