How to complain when service provider has poor English?

ajapale

Re: Harry Ramsdens - Liffey Valley

Hi Clubman,

The poor english was an aside but had the person been able to converse with me I would have complained (quickly). I had to move quickly as who know the McD's might have been gearing up to close as well.

However I do have a problem with people with poor english performing a service which clearly calls for good clear communication skills. (eg Doctors, Lawyers, Broadcast Journalists, Financial Advisors etc)

aj

Re: Harry Ramsdens - Liffey Valley

ajapale said:
However I do have a problem with people with poor english performing a service which clearly calls for good clear communication skills. (eg Doctors, Lawyers, Broadcast Journalists, Financial Advisors etc)
That's your prerogative. The obvious solution is to avoid service providers that don't meet the standards for language skills that you require.

The obvious solution is to avoid service providers that don't meet the standards for language skills that you require.

I dont know whether this is a solution in all cases.

A friend presented in the Eye and Ear Hospital in Dublin a few years ago with a deafness condition. The doctor had poor, highly accented english and in my opinion was not capable of verbally communicating with his aurally impared patients.

How does one go about avoiding such service providers?

aj

I presume so. As far as I know some patients have cause to make special requests in this context (e.g. Muslim women who cannot be seen by male doctors for religious reasons) so it presumably isn't unheard of. Alternatively ask for somebody who can translate/mediate.

Section 28 of the 2005 Disability Act states the following;

28.—(1) Where a public body communicates with one or more persons, the head of the body shall ensure—
(a) if the communication is an oral one and the person or persons aforesaid has a hearing impairment and so requests, or
(b) if the communication is a written one and the person or persons aforesaid has a visual impairment and so requests,
that, as far as practicable, the contents of the communication are communicated in a form that is accessible to the person concerned.

There is a procedure in the Act for making a complaint to the head of a public body if the service does not meet this standard. If the complaint is not resolved locally, it can be referred to the Ombudsman.

I guess fast food outlets in Liffey Valley don't fall under the remit of this legislation though. :D

Fast food outlets run by public service ??? Guess it would end up being changed to food outlets !!

C

and the dirtiest Clubman....
went there about two months ago and thought it was filthy, inside, outside and in the toilets.....eeeeeeeeowwwwww

Back