How to complain about our Solicitor?

cologneboy

Hello there,

We are in the process of buying our first house, for the last 26 month!
Besides problems with the developer, which our solicitor is instructed to deal with, she herself becomes more and more part of the problem.
We have written to her directly twice and pointed out our dissatisfaction with her services, to no avail.
We think it is time to formally complain about her professional conduct.
Could somebody share some advise how to best go about this?

Thanks in anticipation,

Cologneboy

What is it that she has done or not done that you are unhappy about? Have you considered changing solicitor?

As a practising solicitor, I often find that the problem can lie as much with the client as with the solicitor. I note also that your situation appears to have been quite fraught.

I remember some years ago, a client complained about me to the Law Society because I refused to release a cheque to her before I had everything in place to deal with various undertakings. She was outraged that she could not have what she wanted when she wanted it.

mf

mf1,

thanks for your input and question.

To clarify:

- although requested twice over the last two years in writing and several times verbally, our solicitor does not forward any written communication with the other party to us in copy, which I regard as a minimum standard as to alliviate the danger of her misinterpreting our instructions.

- i doubt, at this moment in time, that she has put proposals to the other side to solve the situation outside the courts as proposed by us. At least, she did not do it in writing, which I feel will weaken our position should it come to a full court case.

- over to years very little she explained and anticipated, did actually subsequently happen.

- three weeks ago we instructed her to settle and close the deal at all costs as we needed to move quickly due to purchase of another property. She suggested to wait five days at which a third motion was due in the circuit court, as she felt a ruling would be made there. On this basis we agreed to wait five days. She came back to us three days after the set court day and told us that she asked for adjournement of the proceedings.
This, in my view has further weakened our position.

I wonder at this stage where she is getting her money from?!

As to your question in relation to change solicitor, yes, we thought about this, question is how to know who is any better and who will take it on at this stage?

If you're interested to hear more detail and consider taken it on, you are more than welcome!

Regards,

cologneboy

Back