How to clean stainless steel sink?

golden mean

That my life has come to this.....can anyone tell me how to clean my kitchen sink?

I have tried many of the usual kitchen cleaners but nothing gets it shiny- any tips/products to recommend?

Get your hands on a product I think it's called Barkeepers friend. When we purchased our new (now read old) appliances this was recommended and it is pretty good. It's a powder. We got it from the NEFF appliance re-seller in Clondalkin - I know Sainsburys used to stock it in NI as well. I'll find out more from the label if you need it.

Will probably be torn apart here for saying but I always use Domestos. Have tried everything else to no avail.

Fill the sink with water and add a good dash of bleach. Leave it for a while, overnight if possible, and when you let the water out the sink should be sparkling.

Take a tip from the [broken link removed], and don't be throwing nasty bleach down the sink unnecessarily... ;)

I just tracked down that Barkeepers Friend stuff from the Kleeneze catalogue.
[broken link removed]

Steps to a clean sink

1. rool up sleeves
2. take a brillo pad and some fairy liquid
3. while sink is wet scrub til it hurts, ouch!

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: "Barkeeper's friend" that and never use steel wool or abrasive pads on stainless steel. If your sink is badly stained and Barkeeper's Firend won't work or you can't get it try a little T-Cut (for restoring car paintwork colour)- it's mildly abrasive and will polish up most metals.

I would clean with well diluted Domestos about once every few weeks. I can't see the harm in that as U /S bends need to be kept hygienically clean anyway. I just leave the water with a little Domestos in the sink for half an hour, swish it around to remove any residual marks, let it go and rinse off - leaving me with a perfectly clean, stain-free and non-scratched sink.

Something I have used on numerous occasions is milking machine cleaner.
I can't remember the name of it right now but if you go to your local Co-Op store and ask for it, they will have it.
Dilute it as directed and leave in the sink for a few hours, it will definitely do the job.
Remember to wash down the sink with cold water after cleaning it.
I'll get the name this evening.

A paste of baking (bread) soda and washing up liquid, scrubbed with a sponge. Leave for a few minutes while you have a cup of tea, then rinse. Cheap as chips and less harsh than bleach.

Bar keeper's friend is good, as is a cleaning paste called 'Astonish', but the baking soda one ain't bad at all.

Freshly cut lemons can be used to clean/shine up stainless steel pots. Might also work on stainless steel sinktops.

A mixture of the above is your best option. Use a paste made from bread soda and lemon juice, scrub with a sponge and the shine will blind you, with no environmental damage!

Hi Goldean Mean,

You could try "Mista Hijeen" Stainless Steel Cleaner. It should be available from any large supermarket. (Punch Sales Ltd.)

Oxy Plus from kleeneze - fill sink with hot water put a few scoops in and let it sit for 5-10mins. wipe around sink and all areas and your sink will be like new...... too keep shine longer use good old baby oil (and it smells nice too) :)

Try a wee drop of bleach in some water. let is sit for a while and then rinse out. Good as new!

Boiling water and a ordinary washing power tablet, break in another bit of the tablet with each fill(kettle) of boiling water. Rinse off and it'll shine.

hi - try a tiny bit of baby oil on a cloth - this is great for cleaning stainless steel.... gets a bit oily though so make sure you only use a small amount. Also use a j cloth as oppose to the thicker types as some of the hair from the cloth will stick otherwise. This is really just for getting the shine back to the s/s

What a wealth of experience! Some of those concoctions are worthy of McGyver...

I and my sink thank you all.

Back