How to claim pension refund for less than 2 years service

T_Virus

I worked in the DJELR for 3 months in 2006 as a Term-Timer, for 7.5 months in 2007 and for the Dept of Education for 1 year from June 08 - June 09. At each cessation I received a P45. I paid the pension levy and made weekly pension contributions during my time in employment. However, with me now out of work I could do with the money back and it's my understanding that because I've worked less than 2 years I'm entitled to it and not a 'preserved pension'

How would I go about doing this? Am I entitled to a refund of the pension levy too?

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated :D

T,
Write to your Human Resources Dept. seeking refund.
With less than 2 years service you are entitled to receive refund of your
contributions less 20% to the Revenue.
Evening

Hi Evening,

Many thanks for your replies. Can I ask which Department's HR I have to write to - the DJELR or Education? Or both separately?

Also, are you sure I'd have to pay the 20% to Revenue because I'm out of work and have built up enough tax free credit by my estimation.

Thanks,

TV

T,
I don't work in the CS so I don't know which HR dept you should write to.
The superann people are obliged to deduct the 20% from refund. I presume you can claim it back.
E

I'll apply to HR in the Dept. of Education and see what I get back, if it's not the whole lot I'll got to the DJELR. Thanks again Evening!

I was seeking to confirm service in the 1970's and a quick email to the contact address on Pension Board website was sufficient to put me in the right direction. An email was sufficient to get the information (to the Dept of Finance even though I had worked for Customs). If you do not get a response within a week I would follow up with a phone call as I found the 'contact' I'd been given 'doesn't answer emails/was away for some time' and someone I spoke to kindly took the query on board. The Pensions Board or Pensions Ombudsman is the route to go if you are experiencing any delays in gaining the required information.

Back