How to claim for a grand screw-up on flight tickets

keepon

Short story: I booked long-haul flights for a holiday with my partner. She got seriously ill (now fully recovered), and we had to ask if we could change our dates or cancel and get a refund.

Our Irish-based agency (or the Irish branch of an international agency ) told us that it wasn't for them to decide, and we would have to contact the airline directly. The airline were very good and said they would 'hold the value' of our tickets for almost a year -- this in spite of the fact that the tickets stipulated no-cancellation allowed. They confirmed that the value was being held, more than once in subsequent discussions.

A couple of months passed, and I reverted to the airline to book new tickets. They said the value of the tickets was no longer held, because the agency had been on to cancel them and to claim back taxes. They refused to discuss it further.

The agent admitted their action, claiming they hadn't been instructed not to cancel. They refunded me a tiny sum, representing the taxes. When I made a fuss, they very reluctantly and after many exchanges, culminating in a threat of legal proceedings, agreed to give me a credit (not refund) of a little more than a third of the fare.

The upshot is that we are almost €1,000 out of pocket. My question: is this a matter for the Small Claims Court, and if not what other means can I use to get my money back.

PS: I thought the Irish Aviation Authority might have a role. They told me (extremely rudely, as it happens) that they don't.

Threaten small claims court, it's the way to go, your contract was with the provider, I hope you have something in writing from the airline that supports your position as outlined.

Thanks. No. I've nothing from the airline in writing. I would demand call recordings.

I can understand why the Irish Aviation Authority gave a curt no. They have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with consumer transactions and that would be seen clearly from their website.

Your contract was with the travel agent at all times and if you didn't inform them that the airline agreed to the credit, then there's little argument to be had against them.

I can understand why the Irish Aviation Authority gave a curt no. They have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with consumer transactions and that would be seen clearly from their website.

I didn't say that they were curt. They were rude and condescending. Anyway, that's by the way.

Your contract was with the travel agent at all times and if you didn't inform them that the airline agreed to the credit, then there's little argument to be had against them.

I specifically told the agent that I didn't want to cancel the flights; that, since they had declined to allow a change, I would deal directly with the airline. This is what, they, the agent, had suggested when they said that any change would be up to the airline.

Back