How to choose an estateagent?

J

jacobeandub

Hi,

We want to put our house on the market and as such have met with three estate agents - two want to charge us 1.5% the third .75% - the third is a local guy and wouldn't be on the same scale as the first two. All three will put our property on myhome. Should we just go with the cheapest or can we negotiate with the other two for a cheaper fee?? any suggestions would be appreciated!!

I'ld recommend that you get further clarification from all of them.

1.On top of commission, what will each charge you for signage?
2. On top of commission what will each charge you for myhome.ie.
3. On top of commission what will each charge you for other media advertising.

In relation to the smaller guy (and others), you could drop a note into a property that he has a sign outside, with your phone number, asking can you speak with the owners regards their impressions of the agent. I did that before and got invaluable feedback........so invaluable that I sold privately!

I also sold privately. I just couldn't really see any justification for using an estate agent - especially as I had felt shafted by one as a buyer.

Thanks for your replies. All three charge their commission plus 200 for listing on myhome plus VAT. I've actually ruled out one of them already - Sherry Fitz wanted to charge us 350 (200 for myhome and 150 for their own website! - I thought that was a bit cheeky).

We're now living in Dublin and our house is in Meath so I'd prefer to employ an estate agent rather than do it ourselves (we wouldn't be around for viewing etc.)

Back