How to cash a cheque for Company who have ceased trading?

blue12

I wound up my company over 7 years ago and settled outstanding debts etc. As the company had ceased trading, I closed all accounts and completed all the necessary arrangements with the Companies Office. I recently received a Bank Draft refund for statement fees over charged during the period when I was trading. As the account was in the Company name, the refund is also made out to the Company. My wife and I were the sole Directors in the Company. Am I able to cash this cheque? I rang the bank and they have said it needs to be lodged to an account in the Company name. Its not for a huge ammount but would still get me a nice weekend break.

Could you endorse the cheque (if you were one of the signatures on the company bank account) and then lodge into your own account?

I'll give that a go Bazermac as I am or was the signatory on the account.

How did you wind the company up? I take it was a Limited Company?

If this is the case, as far as I know, you are not entitled to any money payable to the dissolved company.

You need to seek legal advice before landing yourself in trouble.

How did you wind the company up? I take it was a Limited Company?

If this is the case, as far as I know, you are not entitled to any money payable to the dissolved company.

You need to seek legal advice before landing yourself in trouble.

He does state quite clearly that all debts were paid off and its was closed properly. The money effectively belongs to the company's shareholders at thie time of closing (as there were no outstanding debts) which I presume are himself and his wife, so in effect he is doing nothing wrong.

I'd go the the bank that the business accounts were originally with and see if the manager there will change the name on the draft

The Company is dissolved, it no longer exists as a legal entity and the shareholders have no claim to any assets. Section 310 of the 1963 Act gave the courts the power to void the dissolution of a company within 2 years of the date of dissolution.

[broken link removed]

I also had a read of Section 307 of the 1963 Act which refers to unclaimed dividends and balances of a company being wound up which is about to be dissolved.

Net effect is that it is virtually impossible for you to access these funds personally.

Not to worry, as I said it wasn't going to make me rich. Glad they didn't find they'd over charged me a lot or I'd really feel sorry for myself. Ta for all replies.