How to calculate interest only tracker mortgage repayments?

trident

Hi, could someone supply the equation on how to work out monthly repayments for an interest only tracker mortgage?
Irish times today said that the 0.25% drop in ECB rate on a 100,000 tracker mortgage is equivalent to about 12 euro saving per month, but I calculated it as saving of about 20 euro per month.?
Tanks in advance
T

You are confusing two things here.

1) The interest on the mortgage
and
2) The repayment

On an interest only mortgage, both are the same.

But most mortgages are repayment mortgages and so the reduction in the repayment is different.
And to make it more complicated, the remaining term is also a factor.

The repayment on €100,000 over 20 years at 4% is 605.98

The repayment on €100,000 over 20 years at 4.25% is €619.23

So the difference in the repayment is €13.25

So the €12 a month is near enough.

I got €20.83 as well, so I think the 13.25 is wrong?

No, it's correct. It takes a bit of time to get your head around mortgage calculations and how mortgages are amortised and why when interest rates fall, the repayment does not fall by as much as the interest.

Check out this Key Post

Yes, but my initial query was for an interest only mortgage ,, owing €100,000. When the interest rate reduces by 0.25% , I calculate that my repayments will reduce by approx 20 Euro. Is that correct?

Irish times today said that the 0.25% drop in ECB rate on a 100,000 tracker mortgage is equivalent to about 12 euro saving per month

The Irish Times is correct because they are assuming a repayment mortgage.

You are correct because you have an interest-only mortgage.

Yes, but my initial query was for an interest only mortgage ,, owing €100,000. When the interest rate reduces by 0.25% , I calculate that my repayments will reduce by approx 20 Euro. Is that correct?
Why are you on interest only?

Why are you on interest only?
Because it was cheap at the time! Bought in 2008, most of the time since repayments were very low. Thankfully rates are going in right direction again. Will use pension lump sum to pay of most of the loan.

Back