How to add a superscript reference digit to a doc

dollyclare

If I want to write a number (1,2,3 etc.) on the right hand tip of a word just typed ,how do I do it.In the same place as one would put an asterik*.Thank you.

Re: how to print a digit on pc

It depends on the word processing program you are using.

If it is MS Word, look up ' insert footnotes' or 'superscript' in the help menu, depending on which you want.

I'm using Ms Word.I tried superscript but that only formats the font.Also I dont want a footnote or end note.I'm trying to put a small digit 1,2,3,4, etc. slightly above to the right of individual names for reference to what generation they are from in a family tree.
Any help ,thanks

I don't understand why a superscript digit at the end of a normally formatted (non superscript) word doesn't do the trick - e.g. type ClubMan1, then select/highlight the character '1', right click on it, choose Font... and check the Superscript checkbox in Effects.

I think you might be looking for footnote/endnote. These can be created in Word by choosing the menu option: Insert>Reference>Footnote.
Then you can either create a footnote (end of page) or endnote (end of document).

You can then enter the reference/note in a new winow that will appear at the bottom of Word (can be selected\deselected by menu option View>Footnotes).

Word will automatically manage the reference and display the note you assign either at the bottom of the page or end of document depending on what you select.

--

Edit> I just saw that you don't want footnote/endnotes or superscript. That doesn't really leave much else. What is it that you specifically want?

Clubman is absolutely right. Have you tried what he suggested?

Yes.Clubman is absolutely right and thank you very much.I never even heard of superscript until now.I only have 8 generations of a family tree to type out so this will make my job much easier.!

To be fair MOB did mention superscript first in the first reply to this query!

Back