How stupid can people be ?

Dubai: I know there is only 1 Dubai but is this the Dubai that is putting all its oil resources into investment into what is to become the worlds best holiday destination, where a couple can't drink or have a hug on the beach, and a place that will demoralize and degrade your women folk Ah fek it I'm off to killarney or tramore instead, Shove there palm and world islands with there big building site, A Flogging for enjoying yourself on holiday? must be a nuns paradise!!!!

Not that I wish to disagree with the previous poster but a court in Dubai found them guilty of actually having carnal knowledge of each other in a public place which is not allowed in their laws - they were not just hugging and kissing, this was proven in a court of law! A court heard the case and this was their decision so we should abide by it, they blantently ignored the rules, they disregarded a previous warning and although the punishment appears to us to be very harsh it was indeed a punishment that according to their laws should be adhered to. I know this would not happen in this country but as previous posters said 'When In Rome'!

What is the "when in rome" thingy?

From Wikipedia : "When in Rome" is an abbreviation of the expression "When in Rome, do as the Romans do," which is used to advise people to adapt to the culture of places that they visit.

For example, when you go to Rome, make sure you feed christians to the lions and such...
When in Limerick, stab people etc.
When in Dubai, dont try making the sexy-time in public places.

We have so moved on to semi-automatics.

AFAIK sex in public is not allowed in Ireland either.

Yeah but you are more likely to get a "Down with that kinda thing" in Ireland whereas a flogging is a distinct possibility in Dubai, Mecca, Belmullet etc...