How soon could the oil turn black after a service?

michaelm

I've put 1700k on my diesel car in the month since it was serviced. I just dipped the oil and it is black. Can be the case if the oil and oil filter were really changed during the service? I may well just be being paranoid.

I'm no car expert, but from reading threads over on the motors forum on boards.ie in diesels its normal to turn black pretty much straight away as compared to petrol cars.

S.

I've put 1700k on my diesel car in the month since it was serviced. I just dipped the oil and it is black. Can be the case if the oil and oil filter were really changed during the service? I may well just be being paranoid.

Too many variables to give a definitive answer, depends on a number of things, such as age of engine, mileage on engine, condition of engine, how often serviced, was it ever flushed and not least the type of driving during the past 1700K.

So as you can see it could very well be possible for the oil to appear black, even if it was changed at last service.

Thanks for the replies. I'll put it down to my paranoia so (although I'm always mindful that the fact that I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they are not out to get me ).

It depends on if the oil was really well drained down and it helps if it was warm. It is impossible to fully drain oil from a car so when you refill it gets comtaminated (black) straight away and tends to be much more noticeable on diesels. It looks black really quickly.