How should a family prepare themselves for an inquest.

geri

My sister in law died unexpectedly following keyhole surgery in a "day surgery" clinic last year. As you can imagine it has been an enormously difficult time for the whole family, most especially her 9 year old son. As the year has passed, and we have gotten through the significant times like birthdays, christmas etc it is starting to get less raw. However we have just received notification that the inquest is to be held next month in the coroners court in town. Her parents are feeling very anxious about it as we don't really know what to expect in reality. I have read the official literature and leaflets about how the court works but it's all very matter of fact. Could someone explain what it will be like on the day for the family, and how we should prepare ourselves.
Thanks very much,
Geri

It is very difficult to answer this. I was at two inquests. Both were very different. I think the inquest depends on how certain or uncertain the facts surrounding the death are, and this is a major factor influencing the duration of the inquest. The inquests that I were at didn't involve my family, and to be honest I don't kow how I would manage if they were. I think if I knew of all the facts involved in the death, I might not attend the inquest. It would just bring back painful memories. But that is just me. If it helps, maybe you could call to the local Garda barracks and ask them what to expect?

Hi geri,

Sorry to hear of your sister-in-law's death in such a sad way.

This previous thread might give some insight into the Coroner's Court system http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=160799&highlight=inquest

I was a juror at the Coroner's Court in Dublin some time back. It was to do with a death as a result of a road traffic accident.

I would have to say that the staff and Coroner were very helpful and kind to the family and tried to do their best to alleviate the nervousness or stress attached to attending the court?

The Gardai attached to the road traffic accident were all there on the day and the Sgt was very helpful also.

I'm just wondering if you were to ring the court itself would the assistant there be able to give you any advice for the family?

It will partially depend on whether there is any suggestion of negligence on the part of the medical team or not.

If there is, it might be quite adversarial and the family should be prepared by their legal team for that.

If not, then this is like a court but more informal. It can be cathartic, and you will generally find that the coroner and witnesses are very sympathetic.