How safe are our streets really?

Caveat

I'm sure many have their horror stories, but statistically how safe is Ireland these days?

Like many probably, I remember for years (up until relatively recently)always being advised that Ireland has one of the lowest crime rates in Europe.

Do a quick google and you'll find that many reports are now saying the complete opposite!

e.g.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/feb/06/ukcrime.prisonsandprobation

and perhaps more pertinantly...

[broken link removed]

Not completely up to date but relatively current.

I think anecdotally, and from experience, that incidences of street violence have certainly increased but can we really be the worst in Europe?

Are there any reliable recent sources does anyone know?

Well on O'Connell Street in Limerick it has become very noticeable the number of dodgy guys starting to ask for money and often in an intimidating way, I've seen same guys either buy or sell drugs in open daylight and I've seen a young fella sniffing glue or something in broad daylight. I have a much better chance of meeting one of this lads on a walk down the main street than I have of bumping into a guard. It really is in the last year that these occurances have become so visible and you feel the more its let happen the worse it will get.

Guards can no longer move on beggars from the street afaik. This is why you see an increase of beggars on the street .

Its that alot of them seem to be using the begging as a front for other dealings

I think anecdotally, and from experience, that incidences of street violence have certainly increased but can we really be the worst in Europe?
Well I don't have any figures to hand, but I suspect that Ireland isn't the safest of places in Europe. I suppose Ireland doesn't have any structure in place to prevent street crime, and this is the result.

Well I don't have any figures to hand, but I suspect that Ireland isn't the safest of places in Europe.
Great argument. I think I'll try that next time I can't be bothered doing even basic research on some topic or other.

Great argument. I think I'll try that next time I can't be bothered doing even basic research on some topic or other.
First hand empirical evidence can often be better than possibly biased, or simply incorrect, secondary data.

First hand empirical evidence can often be better than possibly biased, or simply incorrect, secondary data.
Fair enough - but one person's suspicion hardly constitutes first hand empirical evidence?