How much to fix dent in door?

T

telegram_sam

Hi - I arrived back to my car after a long day's work to find a dent in my door near the handle. The damage is bad enough that the door won't open and the central locking is a bit fudged. I don't know whether the door needs to be replaced. I've never taken a car to a garage before for repairs and I have no clue how much I -should- pay. I know it's easy to get ripped off by garages, and I don't want to be another victim! Any ideas on cost - btw it's a 99 Toyota Yaris

thanks for help!

I recently dented my door. Door still works fine i.e. central locking and electric windows all still work. The dent doesnt seem that bad but everyone that I have brought it to reckons that I need a new door, costing approx €900 to €1000 (for door and labour). If you do need a new door though, it would obviously be cheaper if you managed to get a second hand door, preferably one with a similar colour

I reccomend you take it to atleast 3-4 garages, you will soon get a clear idea.

Check out people like these first.
[broken link removed]

Could be more repair than replacement of parts. The lock on the car obviously isnt working bacuase the dent from your door is blocking its path. Once the door is fixed, i'd say, job done.

Even if you have to replace the door (doubt it though), regardless of colour it will have to be resprayed as the original colour of your car like anyone elses, fades over time and will have to be made to match.

Again as PPosters have said, get estimates from at least 4 garages. You'd be very surprised to learn the difference in price range from one to the other hoever, the prices you've mentioned so far are in my opinion, way off the mark. try throw up some images so we can have a look.

Remove the Upholstery and Plastic from inside the door. gently tap (with a piece of wood) the dent outwards & it may pop out, provided it is only a dent and not badly creased. Take care not to crack the paint, although if you do a little touch- up, from your local car accessory shop may do the job.

Wups, Just re-read the initial post and it seems you have a serious dent so my reply is useless. Ha well, I'll just leave it there anyway:

There are a few companies and sole traders who spend there time going about garages doing minor body repairs. They will also call to your door.

I can't remember their phone numbers, but here are the names

Phil the dent. "Paintless dent removal": does small dents with out paintwork damage, just works them out with some fancy tooling, but you would never know the difference afterwards.

Trim-tech. Scratch repairs, bumper damage and paintwork including small re-spray jobs.

These guys cost a bit less than going through the garage. I'm sure 11811 or the golden pages would list them. They both do excellent work.