How much to fix an immersion heater leak?

P

Paddy1850

Hi,
I'm trying to buy a new apartment in the city centre. 2 weeks ago the estate agent phoned me straight after my surveyor had done his report (but before I'd talked to him about it) saying that there were 3 faults found in the report that the vendor was happy to get fixed asap. They were a leak in the immersion heater which has left the ground damp, the extractor fan in the bathroom doesn't work and one of the main windows is very stiff to open.
Yesterday I got a call saying that the vendor is now too busy/not bothered to get these fixed and will knock 300 euros off the asking price if I fix them myself. This sounds very low to me. How much would these repairs normally cost?
Thanks.

Hi,
I'm trying to buy a new apartment in the city centre. 2 weeks ago the estate agent phoned me straight after my surveyor had done his report (but before I'd talked to him about it) saying that there were 3 faults found in the report that the vendor was happy to get fixed asap. They were a leak in the immersion heater which has left the ground damp, the extractor fan in the bathroom doesn't work and one of the main windows is very stiff to open.
Yesterday I got a call saying that the vendor is now too busy/not bothered to get these fixed and will knock 300 euros off the asking price if I fix them myself. This sounds very low to me. How much would these repairs normally cost?
Thanks.

Immersion, if it means a new tank it depends on the size plus you will have labour costs. A plumber would charge you at least €200 to change a cylinder.

Window, can of WD40 €5

Extractor fan - apartments you gotta love em, no windows in bathroom I presume, replacement fan up to €100, electrician at least €100.

Had thought that myself but I'd worry a little about the surveyor if that was the case!

300 would be very low for this considering you're talking about calling out at least two trades. On the above, the surveyor will not investigate the leak in too much detail, to do this he'd have to drain the tank, dismantle the joint, etc., and he's not a plumber.

Basic extractor fans are really [broken link removed], electricians aren't.

The window could be anything from a bit of oil required, to a far more serious problem.
Leo

Back