How much to build a house?

BOXtheFOX

Has anyone any idea how much a standard 1400 sq.ft. house would cost to build in a side garden. Nothing too fancy just a basic house?

depends on where your talking about... generally in the midlands builders quotes are coming in anywhere from 90-95 euro per sq ft for a basic builders finish...

A builder friend of mine generally says it could run anywhere from 90-120 euro per sq foot but obvjously that depends a lot on the materials & finish. 100 euro / sq foot anyway and then see about pc items like kitchen bathroom etc. If you have plans get at least 3 builder quotes to see.

This house would be in Dublin. Would the above prices include the complete finish excluding kitchens and bathrooms? In otherwords all the pipe work, plastering, electricals, windows etc. If I was to put €300k aside I would get a pretty good finished house?

Not sure if the SCS guide to house rebuilding costs is of any use even as a rough guide?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][broken link removed][/FONT]

Depends so much on the finishes, kitchen , bathroom, types of floor.
A basic 130 square metre ( = 1400 sq.ft) would be €2,000 / €2,500 per square metre. Plus VAT. plus other costs such as engineer, architect etc.

pico,

i would severally hope he could get a better price than that....thats (at worst) €232 per sq ft... thats mental!!!.......material costs are standard around the country... so theres no excuse in dublin tradesmen being twice the price of their counterparts 50 miles down the road....

i had a quote delievered to our office today.... 187,900 for a 2250 sq ft dormer dwelling... thats €83.58 per sq ft from a fully indemnified reputable builder in the midlands.....

obviously your total price includes personal choices such as decoration kitchen etc... but you can control them..... the builders finish is a standard and that what you need to work on....

Currently building a 2,500 sq foot bungalow which is costing €165,000 for builders finish ( gave building to one contractor) You can save money if you sublet the stages of the building yourself, but it can be a lot of hassle.

sydthebeat and footsteps, (longtime reader, first time poster) are your prices really that good? Will be building 2300 two story house outside KK and have heard that prices have gone down but was wondering was it urban(rural) legend.
Have been reading fabulous posts about heating by someone called heinbloed but he appears to be banned. Why is this?
And Sueellen, just read that your name relates to your kid's favourite cartoon. I always assumed you were a Dallas fan.

Hi tippytoe,

Welcome to AAM.

Unfortunately we don't discuss moderation/banning issues. I think I saw someone mention here recently that heinbloed posts over on www.boards.ie so you may be able to follow his posts there. Not sure if there was mention of another board also.

A lot of people had assumed the Dallas connection

Hi Sueellen,
Thanks for the welcome. Had a look on boards but have gotten such invaluable info off this site that i've become very attached to it. (Would insert smilie face here if I knew how)

As I said that is the price, we are building in Roscommon/Leitrim area. Our lowest quote was €155,000 but we were not happy with this builders work where as the builder we have is excellent. Our highest quote was €205,000.
So it is worth shopping around. Prices can increase for things like hollowcore floor(highly advisable in 2 storey), How much digging and filling is needed on site, where you have a strip foundation or the other one(names escapes me at the moment!!)

tippytoe,

my office is located in south laois and we do a lot of work in KK as well.....

that price i gave is an actual building contractors quote on (must make an edit there... a 2250 sq ft house... so it stil works out at €83.50 per sq ft)...

if you want the contractors details pm me.... i have no connection to this or any building contractor....

Hmmm! The prices seem to be all over the place. I suppose the best thing to do is to go on first hand recommendations?

Hmmm! The prices seem to be all over the place. I suppose the best thing to do is to go on first hand recommendations?

Prices were all over the place ten years ago when we built - massive variations of up to 100% between builders quotes. I know a few people at the moment who are doing major bulding/ renovation work, one of whom is in Dublin, and their experiences with quotes were much the same as ours.The cheapest isn't always the best though so I would definitely check out first hand recommendations even if they are a bit pricier.

Thanks guys,
That really is good news. It's all swings and roundabouts though, so hopefully the money we'll save on current build prices will cover the hit we'll have to take selling our property in the current market.